Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Does anyone have an extra "Sound Quality" board for the Katana they'd be willing to sell? Mine randomly decided to die and I sent it in to Allo over a year ago. I guess Allo just decided to not fix it. I offered to buy a new one, but they said they're no longer stocked either. :(

I figure there may be someone out there who is using the THD board, with the SQ board just collecting dust. :)

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Sucks because it's a great little DAC. However, I don't feel inclined to pick up another Allo DAC now.

I've since bought a Pi2AES hat, which works great with my Yggy via AES connection. I think I'll likely go this direction again once my Katana THD board gives out.

I may have a spare Katana THD output stage board. Personally, I thought it sounded better than the so-called 'sound quality' version. The latter version had an RC filter before the I/V opamp stage that increased distortion, but maybe filtered out some of the overly-bright character that ESS dac tend to have.

Started to have some issue when my player starts to play album from Qobuz, but stops after 2-3 songs. It is hungs on and I need to go to queue and press play again. If someone of you saw same behave, then please let me know.
System configuration. Wired internet 600Gb/s, Volumio, three linear PSUs.

Started to have some issue when my player starts to play album from Qobuz, but stops after 2-3 songs. It is hungs on and I need to go to queue and press play again. If someone of you saw same behave, then please let me know.
System configuration. Wired internet 600Gb/s, Volumio, three linear PSUs.

BTW, it is absolutely no issue when I run Qobuz via WiFi. No interruptions at all. I do not like RPI international WiFi due to its low speed, but it is works. So, I assume it is some RPI 3B+ glitch when Ethernet port share same controller with USBs and getting disconnections time
to time. Please let me know (if you know) how to fix that.

My Allo katana has stopped working since yesterday.
I use a 5V and +/- 15V power supply.
I can't hear any sounds even though I can control everything from piCorePlayer as before.
After changing the +/- 15V power supply to the internal one on the controller board, there is a low sound but very distorted.
The controller board is then very hot.
Can someone tell me what could be damaged and how to fix it ?
I have had a katane for over 3 years.

BTW, it is absolutely no issue when I run Qobuz via WiFi. No interruptions at all. I do not like RPI international WiFi due to its low speed, but it is works. So, I assume it is some RPI 3B+ glitch when Ethernet port share same controller with USBs and getting disconnections time
to time. Please let me know (if you know) how to fix that.

Replaced RPI with new one and still same issue via wired connection. All ended up when I got replaced my router. Called SparkLight (local internet provider) and complained about some disconnections. Tech guy came
and swapped my old ( one year old) router with new model. Done. Issue is solved.

I had the Katana/Isolator Pi equivalent
Really enjoyed our time together.

Attachments

• katana-player-with-isolator.jpg
    katana-player-with-isolator.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 221
Noob here. Deciding between Katana and Pecan Pi.
Without the isolator and just one output board, is one (Ifi) power supply enough for katana stack?
I just don't want two, it's a pita

Are you buying a second-hand Katana DAC? I thought that ALLO has stopped manufacturing/selling Katana for quite a while now...

I had a look on ALLO's site and any attempts of engaging in ordering a Katana DAC would resolve to ordering a Revolution DAC.

Hi folks.

It's been a while...

After years of fiddling around with this or that DAC, with a Gustard A18 with AK4499 being the latest, I thought why not trying the Katana once more.
The DAC was idling around "for years" in the workshop. I hooked it up to a PI4, without isolator, powered by a Shanti. Running my own optimized audio-RPiOS.

I was quite shocked when I turned the music on. What have I been doing the last couple of years!?!? - was the first thought that hit my mind.

After a bit of tinkering, my Katana setup even got better. Wow. All my USB DACs required a solid number of filters, reclockers, etc to get where the Katana
already was back then. That's been the conclusion. What a relieve. What an enjoyment. Life could have been that easy. ;)

Fact is. The Katana stays for now. It's IMO simply better than the rest of the bunch I've been listening to.

One Q: Would anybody recommend to add a 3rd 5V rail to the stack to get the controller separated from the DAC board. The doc Allo says it'd be better then the
2-rail solution soundwise. But they didn't put a "recommended" label on it. I am wondering now if it's worth to get an extra Nirvana/Shanti for the 3rd 5V rail!?!?

Anyhow. I hope Allo gets back on the feet sooner or later. A pity they didn't continue to evolve the highest quality PI HAT DAC market.
Allo was definitely leading it back than.

SC

Reactions: 1 users