In praise of Shenzhen-DHL (PCBs shipped from China)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am delighted to share a good experience I had today with a shipping company. I like to purchase PCBs from whoever's cheapest that day on PCB Shopper » A Price Comparison Site for PCBs . When I placed my order last week, the cheapest for (Qty=20, 10cmX10cm, 2 sided, Yellow color) was Elecrow. Among their many shipping options, I chose Shenzhen DHL. And boy am I delighted!

Have a look at my tracking information below. These boards went from Shenzhen, to Hong Kong, to Los Angeles, to San Francisco, to Fremont CA (eastern Silicon Valley), to me .... all in 36 hours! The shipping charge was USD 25.69 and I am thrilled. I intend to keep using Shenzhen DHL and if necessary, restrict my universe of board fabs, to those who offer this company as one of their shipping options.

Woo! -Mark Johnson

_

Attachments

• shenzhen_dhl.png
    shenzhen_dhl.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 538
Joined 2011
Paid Member
after all that, do the boards work?
:)
i had to ask ...
Yes they work. But this is not a huge surprise because I fabbed a batch of the same boards a few months ago. This order provides more of the same, although in Yellow color and black silkscreen.

Attached is a snip from the order form / packing list they included inside the shipping box. My board was 10cm X 10cm and they built 20 copies, in Yellow, and shipped them to me in California, all in six days! From 5/22 to 5/28. I paid USD 02.68 per board. Wow.

_

Attachments

• Packing_List.png
    Packing_List.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 514
Bonus Points

Mark, based on your experience, I've used Elecrow a couple of times. Good results. Thanks. I notice on our invoices that we've received "reward points," at ~ 2RP/$. Any idea what they're good for? I looked around their site without finding an answer. HASL-free returns?
George

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I redeem them when ordering my next batch of PCBs. On the order form there's a box that informs you how many points you've got, and also asks you how many points you wish to redeem on this order. You type in a number of points, the website converts the points to cash, and reduces the total price of the order by that amount.

Hi.
My job is designing PCB's, for me it is not a job but the thing I love to do :).

For hobby use I used to draw my PCB's, print the design on transparent film, UV exposure, ...., etching,...., drilling,... The standard process we all know. I was quit happy with it but it always stayed a lot of work, my tools in my working place were covered with rust caused by the damping during etching, only a single layer PCB without mask, silkscreen etc. The standard problems we also all know.

So I searched for an alternative and the result was shenzen2u.com
I designed and ordered a 5 channel input switcher. 150 x 50 mm, double sided with mask and silkscreen. I payed about 35 USD (dollar and euro are almost the same these days) for 10 pcs including shipping. Production takes about a week, shipping two weeks. I received 11 PCB's but that is common. It is cheaper to start some PCB's on top of the ordered quantity and have a spare in case of a failure during production. And if there is no failure you receive them for free.

I am used to order PCB's from 2 to 16 layers at my work so I'm used to see PCB's :).
The Shenzen PCB's are very neat! Smooth milled outlines, Via and hole drilling almost perfect aligned in the middle of the pad, silkscreen very readable and sharp. Finishing is also neat, flat and soldering is perfect. OK, a double sided board is common these days but they are perfect produced, well packed and shipped, photo sent before shipping,...

Communication goes also very smooth, I asked some questions and received an answer between 15 minutes and less then a day. Only thing that is somewhat strange is that their pricing goes per 5 cm and especially their 100 x 100 mm PCB's are cheap, almost for free. Less then 10 USD for 10 pcs! OK, It didn't work to get my power amplifier on a 150 x 50 mm PCB but it worked to get it on a 150 x 70 mm. I drew some extra little PCB's on the rest border. A Cinch input with grounding resistor and DC blocking capacitor, a simple TDA2030 PC speaker amplifier and a symmetrical power supply with LM317/337. The things you need sometimes :). Just draw them on the same PCB and ask for a V-cut to separate them, it's the same price. I only asked for a single V-Cut in X-direction, a perpendicular V-cut that ends in another V-cut is not advisable but I separate the Y-direction with a cutting bank so that is also not a problem.

I don't etch anymore at home. It is simply better and cheaper to order them at chenzen2u. OK, you can't draw a PCB and have it the same day as you used to do but with some planning you get a very neat, cheap, double sided, masked PCB in return. And no more chemicals, drilling,.... For me it is simple, bye bye home made PCB's.

Br,
Johan

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Amazing. Got 3 day PCB turnaround for $38 (ten boards)

I wanted to share my good fortune, ordering PCBs from the Chinese vendor JLCPCB.com.

I uploaded my Gerber file to them on Sunday night, March 3rd, in California. DHL delivered my boards at 1:00PM on Wednesday afternoon, March 6th (!).

For this I paid $38. See attached images. Notice that Sunday night, March 3rd in California, is Monday morning, March 4th in China. Red box at top right.

_

Attachments

• part1.png
    part1.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 109
  • part2.png
    part2.png
    79 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.