Investigating port resonance absorbers and port geometries

Landau and Lifshitz in volume 6 (Fluid Mechanics) of their course of theoretical physics give the following definition of the Strouhal number

Screenshot_20240531_123458_EBookDroid.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thank you @Dmitrij_S ,
the strouhal number seems to relate a "characteristic dimension" (not further defined, can be diameter, radius ...) to the particle displacement.
In addition your reference seems to give an inverse value (displacement/characteristic dimension).

So in future whenever I refer to strouhal number I should probably include the dimension and definition it refers to, which is the port radius (effective port exit radius in my specific case), following roozen and merkli/thomann.

Last edited:

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
See the calculator site linked below (characteristic length = port diameter):
I think I may have found the reason for different definitions of Sr.

The "classic" strouhal number relates to a solid cylinder in a fluid flow, see wikipedia. Strouhal himself apparently studied cables oscillating in the wind, caused by vortex shedding.

With a loudspeaker port the number relates to a fluid flow inside a (hollow) cylinder.

Anyone has more knowledge about this?

V.M.Garcia-Alcaide et al. studied turbulence in ports using the CFD modeling package OpenFOAM. They also used the definition of the Strouhal number given by Roozen, and used the radius of the port rounding as a characteristic size. It seems that Roozen's definition of the Strouhal number is quite well-established in the ports turbulence studies.

Attachments

• Numerical study of the aerodynamics of sound sources in a bass reflex port CFD.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Excellent read! Reminds me of how race cars create downforce with ground effects...under the front of the car takes incoming air pressure (inner flare of the port), speeds up the air in the middle of the car (middle tube of the port), and then slow down the air with rear diffusers for higher cornering speeds (outer flare of the port).

1717163890934.png
1717164290549.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
have a look at the roozen paper:

It is interesting that the Roozen Strouhal number definition is in effect the same as the one given by the general formula if the characteristic length is assumed to be the port tube circumference, rather than the diameter.

General formula:

St = f * L / V

Where:

St = Strouhal number

V = Velocity
L = Characteristic length
f = Frequency

If characteristic length = circumference then L = 2 * pi * port radius

St = f * (2 * pi * port radius) / V

St = port radius / (V / (2 * pi * f))

Particle displacement = V / (2 * pi * f)

St = port radius / particle displacement

I gather that you would prefer to use the Strouhal 'circumference' definition rather than the 'diameter' one, and that the design aim is to ensure that the Strouhal Number is greater than one at all frequencies of interest. Is this correct?

(NOTE - To be consistent with Roozen you should be using the mean-to-peak rather than peak-to-peak displacement value).