L-Adapter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Rpi 4 specifies 5.1V 3A PSU. This is 15.3W ability not fully used. At least not all of the time or without heavy peripherals.*
Your Fluke meter shouldn't have gone off scale in Ampere series measuring mode. Maybe there is a shorted or reversed end plug/cable?

Dummy tests for this kind of rail & load range take three 4.7Ω/10W resistors. One pulls 5.1V/4.7Ω=1.085A. Paralleling a second one pulls 2.17A. Paralleling a third one pulls 3.255A.
Those tests aren't sustainable with small on board Q2 heatsink for long. Short time tests only. But if passed without considerable rail dropping and LEDs not extinguishing it means there's no problem with your PSU configuration & parts even for 3A peaks and bit more.

*RPi Power Benchmarks

Hi,
I've soldered most parts except for a missing IC1 regulator. But I also realized I forgot any thermal pads or paste between the heatsinks and rectifiers/transistor(Q2). I only want to confirm that I really need the thermals, then I will try to arrange it without desoldering...

EDIT: just read the guide again and understand that it is not needed when sinking is done on board. Correct?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, there's no detailed drawing sketch for dimensions. As mentioned in the guide PCB size is 136mmX63mmX2mm. Its mounting holes diameter is 3.6mm. Their horizontal center to center distance is 127mm. Their vertical center to center distance is 54mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Two more Ladapter ‘s for a friend in Cyprus ready!one for raspberry pi,one for router.thank you again @Salas !

Attachments

• IMG_8367.jpeg
    IMG_8367.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8368.jpeg
    IMG_8368.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 1 users
I looked through and did not see anything about this - is there a way to get 24 volts?

I want to build a supply for the SOTA Condor motor controller and think L Adapter would be good if this might be possible.

Please excuse if this is the 88th time you have answered this.

Thanks, Salas

PS now I see the post where the fellow is using the L ADAPTER to power an amplifier (I think it was) and your only concern was current through the LEDs.

This supply will supply 1 A current at most - that was the value of the wall wart supplied with it.

Would lowering the value of the current set resistor for LM334 be advised?

This will not need to be adjustable so I will not use the specified LED block.

Do you have a favored single LED?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, the answer is also in the pdf guide:

"The jumper should only be moved in parallel to the LEDS across the two rows of pins.
Not vertically on single row. No jumper at all allows for all the LEDS to operate when the
transformer has enough output. Each added LED contributes about 1.75V extra. 17.5V total +
2.5V from VR1 maximum. For >20V needs, using 2kΩ VR1 can extend Vout to 27.5V max."

Lowering of the LM334's current set resistor is not advised. That decreases its current source impedance, it's no good.
Favored single LED hmm... HLMP-6000 is supposed to be a really low noise type. Although it has an unusual form factor.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its better to add more Leds if you can. Because of their less impedance than adding much voltage from the pot alone. Keeping the IccsZ/VrefZ ratio higher. That's good for better ripple rejection. But do have a pot to can easily adjust your 24V target.