Marantz CD-63SE spin up failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I replaced the laser assembly on this unit (CD-63SE) a few months back and all was running fine.

Suddenly it has stopped spinning up when the draw is closed. The laser pops up and down five times (whether a disc is present or not) and then stops but at no point does the disc spin up when one is present in the tray.

I have checked all wires between the laser unit and the connectors to the main board and all are fine.

I made a few short videos here:
Laser trying to focus (cd present or not)
Laser focussing on Vimeo

Tray closing but no spin up
No spin up on Vimeo

Any ideas what to try next?

Many thanks for any help that you are able to offer.

JCHEL

If the CD spindle motor is a DC motor with commutator and metal brushes then the motor may have failed and be in need of replacement.

However, it is first worth cleaning the motor as follows.

Disconnect both motor wires COMPLETELY from the circuit board and power the motor directly for a few seconds in each direction from a 9V battery or power supply. This may clean out any contamination from the brushes and commutator.

If this doesn't work then squirt a little contact cleaner into the ventilation holes near the motor connections and repeat the above procedure. Too much cleaner may damage the motor, but by then you will have established that it requires replacement anyway.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.