Obituary of the Sycamore Gap Tree

You must be a historian.
I visited the Tarn in 2012.

Hugo

View attachment 1234807
Not an historian Hugo but from the age of 12 I realized that what passed as history lessons was only lies and propaganda, so spent time after school at our very big town library. It's incredible that so few people pay any attention to history - we are all the result of history, we are literally our ancestors, without them we do not exist. For me history isn't something dead.

I watch a Japanese public service channel NHK World, it's free to view. Lots of really interesting programmes and what comes across is a really modern country which has never lost touch with it's past, it's still an important part of everyday life.

So, a tree that sprouted One-Thousand-Six-Hundred-Two years after this great landmark was erected...grew for Three-hundred years from 1724 to present day is being "mourned" for its demise? Humanity is a bizarre thing, we attribute value to varieties of things, events & peoples that are so very undeserving of such accolades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

As a biological species, we consume foodstuffs, but as sentient intelligent creatures, we also have consumed resources beyond what is needed to survive. To fabricate, create our civilization, we erect giant structures, plan & implement terrifically complex infrastructures...I will never "apologize" for humanities progress, our reforming of the planet we live on, simply say that we have changed our planet to please us.
No doubt there was a time where we were "In harmony" with the natural world...that has long since been gone.
I can still walk to the local store, revel at the plentiful goods for sale...smile at the storekeeper & walk off with my goods of choice...yes, it is indeed a civilized society.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

I should have clarified that when I said "left behind" I meant rubbish.
I feel very lucky to live in current times, with sanitation, healthcare and technology - I can listen to the best singers of the world, even after they are dead. I can see pictures of the best art, read great books and watch intellectual debates on YouTube, I think if I was dropped in the stone age I would be bored to distraction, but when I see the waste and endless consuming of trash of the modern world, I can't help thinking that we could do better.

@cracked case is that a good or bad thing?
Were Stone Age and in fact, preindustrial revolution people less happy than todays humans?

Or is the case that the rich have become richer and continue to keep the rest of us just happy enough not to revolt?
Stone-age peoples?...well, those peoples by and large often were "driven" just to find food to eat...long term storage of foodstuffs didn't yet exist, let alone medicines to cure all those diseases we all have literally forgotten about...And do tell, at your current age of ??, would you be likely to still be alive? Noble Savage, that sentimentalist vision of ancient peoples...no doubt way way off-base to the actual facts of a cruel, violent, primitive loose society.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Reactions: 1 user
Stone-age peoples?...well, those peoples by and large often were "driven" just to find food to eat...long term storage of foodstuffs didn't yet exist, let alone medicines to cure all those diseases we all have literally forgotten about...And do tell, at your current age of ??, would you be likely to still be alive? Noble Savage, that sentimentalist vision of ancient peoples...no doubt way way off-base to the actual facts of a cruel, violent, primitive loose society.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...
Show me the evidence that our ancestors were ALL cruel & violent? I very much doubt, in percentrage, terms modern society is much better.

Humanity has failed. It's destroying the planet, thee's still far too much killing and warring, little respect for law and order and for each other.

Claims that we live in a civilised society are a joke.
I have to admit that I should have used You Tube a lot more sooner. Yes there is rubbish but also a lot of really good stuff as well. It wasn't until about a month ago that I cottoned onto George Carlin. A truly great teacher/philosopher who used comedy, often brutal comedy to wake people up. He was an Irish American, Celtic culture was always an oral culture and boy could he use the English language. Some prudish people will criticize his swearing but for me bad language is lying, twisting words (politicians) and spouting b/s.

His commentary is all about America because he was an American but virtually everything he talked about could be applied to anywhere on the planet. He tore open all the b/s about war/politics/consumerism/his take on elections and what they really mean to Joe Punter and who really controls everything - "they have a club AND YOU AIN'T IN IT.

Loved your later comment 191 - exactly what George said.