• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

On the road again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm spending a couple of weeks with family over the holidays, so I am away from the Burro Lab. I did bring a couple of pairs of speakers with me, so if you are planning on buying and building soon, you may want to grab them soon!

This side of the state is a little better populated than mine, so there are more toys to be found. Last night I picked up an Akai M8 R2R and the matching speakers. The amps in the unit shouldn't take much work to be decent, stand alone, SEP EL84's! These are really nice monoblocks with decent OPT's, and individual choke filtered power supplies. I plan to mess with them, but if you are looking for a cheap and easy tube amp project, give me a holler. The matching speakers are 10" coax units. They are probably alnico, but I haven't pulled a driver yet. The look fun, but I'm not tempted to hang onto them. If you are interested, let me know, as I (and especially my wife) would love to find them a home.

Today I found a 1986 Magnavox (Philips made) cd player. This is really a first generation unit, as it has TDA1540P DAC's (yup, two, it's a mono chip). I've already mentioned how much I enjoy the 1541, so I'm anxious to hear it's ancestor. I don't expect it to be better, but more of an historical curiosity. I don't know if the unit works, but it looks really clean. I want to plug it in, but I feel like I should wait 'till I am back home so I can run it up gently with the variac. Even if it is dead, I have some nice looking parts should I stumble on a 1541 based machine that has the CDM 2/10 transport (there was some overlap).

I just wanted to give you the heads up about availability. Hope all is well,

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.