Pass XA25?

M2(x) uses the voltage over the degeneration resistors as input for the autobias circuit based on the 4n35. Without degen resistors in the OPS, you would not have M2.

Yes, I can see that.......on schematic.....so we need a way to control bias without "degeneration".....

Then there should also be a good "sonic" reason to avoid degeneration.....like lower distortion, lower output impedance....larger class A envelope.....etc....

I mean the picture of the front end pcb.

Attachments

• PassXA25.jpg
    PassXA25.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 195
After reading some of the threads on First Watt and Pass Labs designs, as well as the square law paper, this is my guess of the XA-25 front end, maybe it could be close… ? I have no clued how could be the output stage, optocoupler biased with runaway control, and DC coupled!

I'm gradually coming back to audio electronics, which I haven't worked on it for maybe 10 years, Since the Blowtorch threads and Charles Hansen designs. I lost a lot of electronics knowledge in the meantime, knowing that my job was more artistic as a sound engineer. When I retired I rather did amateur music as bass player with friends.

What are your thoughts, let’s go ;-)

Attachments

• XA-25 Front End.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 1 user