Power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Pyramid power supply for testing amps .

The model is PS-46KX

The output at 13.8 volts is 40 amps

My question

Is there a way to hook a deep cycle battery up to it to have a little reserve when the larger amps require more amperage to test .

And if so would I need to charge the battery everytime after testing a larger amp and how would I hook it up to the power supply or is this not going to work ?

I have the battery on my bench connected to my supply through a cut-off switch and a 100 amp fuse.
http://www.bcae1.com/images/jpegs/IMG_5967b.jpg

To charge it when it isn't directly connected by the switch, I have a diode and an 1157 bulb to keep a float charge.

Attachments

• DSCN1920b.jpg
    DSCN1920b.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 57
Virtually any diode rated for 1 amp or more should work. Any 12v bulb will work.

This is simply to prevent the slight self-discharging of the battery. If you discharge the battery significantly, leave the disconnect switch on for a few minutes for a quick recharge. Turn the disconnect switch off when you leave the bench.

So from the power supply hook the power wire to on sidebar of the switch then the other side to the battery and the negative from power supply to negative on battery ? Then just leave it connected and use that bulb and diode everytime after I test amps ?

Or how would I do this ?

Sorry I’ve have never did this before

Grounds of the battery and the 12v power supply are directly connected.

The positive terminal of the battery >> fuse >> cutoff switch >> positive of 12v power supply.

Turn the switch on to quick-charge the battery or when you need more current than your supply can deliver.

The bulb and diode are connected across the cutoff switch to pass limited current to the battery when the switch is in the off position.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.