RIAA passive filter values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do we know if the op has identifed the type of cartridge?
Such as a Moving Coil (MC) or Moving Magnet (MM) cartridge,
each with different requirement's I'm told?

I didn't see any mention of cartridge in the thread, that is why I ask.

Isn't it possible to taylor a design to a cartridge type and a specific
cartridge? Do we have to consider anything of the various cutting head
types when they made LPs and if there are any issues outstanding?

I assume that is device is only one LMC49720 using the "a" half

and the "b" half for one channel?

Cheers

It's MM, and I was thinking of using one chip per channel.

For the record, many amplifiers have been built using electrolytic caps in the signal path that sound perfectly fine. Even my line amp uses 10uF Chengxing caps (Because they are cheap and work fine) bypassed with 0.22uF X2 MKP caps. Sounds great.

My RIAA tube based amp uses a 4uF polycarbonate cap on the output, and a 0.1uF X2 MKP cap in between stages. Also sounds excellent.

A rather obtuse post, ji? :confused:

Do you mean a single ended setup - ie. + 'X'v (not +/- 'Y'v) - doesn't go well with a passive RIAA network? In which case, I'd like to know why you think this - as it's not my experience.

Andy

Electrolytic's can "hang" in a phono preamp if the first stage is overloaded by a click or pop (or Canon Blast in Telarc's version of the 1812 Overture). I think SY pointed this out in his discussion of His Master's Noise.

The noise difference between the single supply and bipolar is imperceptible, at least according to LTSpice.

Electrolytic's can "hang" in a phono preamp if the first stage is overloaded by a click or pop (or Canon Blast in Telarc's version of the 1812 Overture). I think SY pointed this out in his discussion of His Master's Noise.

If we insert ESL of 25nH onto each 100uF capacitor, here's what the output of the two phono preamps look like (the Lipshitz caps are removed).

Attachments

• RIAA_SingleSupply.png
    RIAA_SingleSupply.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 109
Thanks Kodabmx, just wanted to ensure we weren't going down the wrong hole.

I've heard of what jack mentioned also, the hanging. I'm not sure what the correct
terminology is, I have a paper that describes it somewhere but can't find it
at the moment.

The MM design I'm going to build uses the LME49710HA in the first stage and
can use different opamps in the second stage. Here is the output using an
MM cartridge using the LT1115, it has an additional 10pf cap for stability.

Attachments

• LT1115 @10pf.jpg
    LT1115 @10pf.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 100

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Electrolytic's can "hang"
The noise difference between the single supply and bipolar is imperceptible, at least according to LTSpice.

SPICE is its own private fantasy.

When we run single-supply, we may also be cheap, the supply may be nasty. The chips have good CMRR at 120Hz, but a little filtering is always wise. But the "bias reference", dead-zero on good bipolar supply, must now be split from the main supply. Done badly, half the power crap is offered to the amp input! There may be 20dB loss due to 47K against pickup impedance, but there's 55+dB gain after. That's why I sketched double filtering on the bias supply.

It used to be called grid blocking.

Yes, but guitar-amps grid-block just fine with film caps; I'd have to find SY's words to see how electrolytics are special.

I measured some 220u/35V Silmics -- 40nH ESL -- I used 25nH in the simulation.

I thought that the single supply amp would be a touch noisier owing to the bias resistor on the front end. It isn't. The only way for sure is to measure. The sim showed a difference in the low hundreds of pV/RtHz which is less than triviality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.