• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Sensitivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the questions I receive most frequently is "What is the sensitivity of your speakers? Will the work with my ____ amp?"

I tend to give long winded responses with tons of caveats. As you'll see, I'm not a gifted salesman. My tube amp puts out about 3.5 watts. Maybe only 3, and I am happy with my drivers. Which means that all you folks asking about single ended 2A3 amps should be fine. I have also spent a good deal of time with my NI LM3875 chip amp (thanks Peter Daniel and BrianGT, for my first project after I joined this forum), and a TA2024 amp. The later is now happily driving BetsyK's in my TL cabinets. The 2024 amp produces 5 watts per channel (into 8 ohms). Their owner is the lead singer in a rock band, and she is very pleased.

The Betsy is about 92.5 db 1w/1m, and the Betsy K is about 94.5 db 1w/1m. Keep in mind that folks quote and interpret numbers differently. Some manufacturers would claim that the Betsy is 98 db sensitive. My speakers and sensitive enough for most people, in most rooms, with nearly any amp you can imagine.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

The sensitivity of the Betsys seems to be about the same as my Fostex FE126E bass reflex speakers. My 2.5 wpc SET amp drives them as loud as I could ever care to listen.

The Betsys are so clear that if I spoke Swedish I believe I could understand the live audience conversations at the intro of "Jazz At The Pawnshop".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.