• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

So in reality, how bad are these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that reusing these sockets is generally not recommended but in the spirit of "Repair, Reuse, Recycle" (and the fact that they would be very convenient for a utility preamp with 180v B+) I am curious as to what the risks and downsides are if I were to clean, adjust tension, and repurpose.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190223_104647-1.jpg
    20190223_104647-1.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 851
  • 20190223_110255-1.jpg
    20190223_110255-1.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
The sockets should be fine - the problem for me was always getting them ready to re-use if I wasn't using the chassis again.
The solder lugs can be fragile - and it's always the 7th or 8th that I'm unsoldering that decides to snap.
If you are taking the sockets out of the chassis, I've found that an angle grinder to take off the rivet ends works better than trying to drill the rivets out. I've split a socket with the drill, and also the rivet tends to just grab the drill and spin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.