The food thread

Funny thing about the timing on getting the new grill (don’t know if its the wifes warped sense of humor?) but I just had both my upper wisdom teeth surgically removed last week due to them invading my sinuses with infection so won’t be able to eat a steak for another week at least maybe more!
Fat laden ribeyes are how I always christen a new grill but it‘ll be on the ‘back burner’ for a bit!
Wife says well you can cook me a steak, I just shook my head no and walked away and as I went around the corner I heard ‘well I’ll just cook my own steak on it’ ……..now I’m usually not a violent man, but when provoked been known to instill regret into the souls of the flippant. Don’t know if she was kidding around or what but she definitely now regrets saying that……way too much profanity for the forum so you’ll just have to use your imagination! :ROFLMAO:

Split drums.
They soak up more marinade and cook faster.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 14
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Fantastic buttermilk pancake recipe. We used a cup of blue berries in ours. They are thick and fluffy so the griddle temp is critical. Ordered a cast iron skillet so I could get nice even heat. Put leftovers in the fridge and micro wave them or treat them like donuts.
https://sugarspunrun.com/buttermilk-pancakes/

I made that recipe as "dessert" last night, and we LOVED the results. Thanks so much, it's a keeper!

Fantastic buttermilk pancake recipe. We used a cup of blue berries in ours. They are thick and fluffy so the griddle temp is critical. Ordered a cast iron skillet so I could get nice even heat. Put leftovers in the fridge and micro wave them or treat them like donuts.
https://sugarspunrun.com/buttermilk-pancakes/

I put blueberries in our waffles. Cleanup tough but oh so worth it.

TACO SEASONING

Went to make chicken tacos and discovered I was either low or completely out of some of the spices I usually use:

( https://foodess.com/chicken-taco-seasoning )

I did have a taco seasoning packet from Aldi, decent spice blend. Took 2 teaspoons of that and mixed into 1/4 cup of water until completely incorporated. After golden-browning a huge split chicken breast close to final internal temp I dumped the taco seasoning mixture into the pan. Flipped it every 30 seconds until it all liquid steamed off then put it aside to rest. Cut up into small pieces and reaction from family (as well as me) was it's then best taco chicken I've yet made. It tasted like it just came off an epic taco truck brazier. Will do again soon and see if I can repeat it. One downside, it really sticks to the pan.

Aside, I also use taco seasoning in our instant pot when we stew beef before the potatoes, carrots & onions added. After braising cut up chuck roast in the instant pot, deglaze with beef broth and add 1/4 (or more) packet of taco seasoning. When done it tastes like perfect roast beef and to my palate no hint of spice origin. This was an accidental discovery when trying to fast track beef for carne asada tacos and could not grill. End result was it needed way more taco seasoning to have an actual Mexican BBQ vibe. Tacos were good once cilantro and crema added but flavor Mexican-Lite. Instead I do this anytime we're doing conventional beef for stews & soups using the instant pot.

Been letting life get in the way the past few weeks and the cooking has been more just "fooding" than actually putting effort into. Did do a caserrole roasted chicken last week, also some chicken tacos.

Regarding pancakes, I dont eat them, but love to make them for the kids. Try whipping the egg whites into a meringue and folding it into the batter. You want to talk about fluffy! You can make them an inch (25mm) thick!

Not sure whats on the menu tonight yet, but I'll figure it out. Maybe spaghetti with garlic and anchovies. A favorite.

My little girl must sneak on here to get ideas. She told me chocolate chip pancakes sounded good for dinner.

So, because she's 15 and will complain until nobody can take it anymore, I'm making double chocolate chip pancakes, with hazelnut/chocolate syrup.

View attachment 1305251 View attachment 1305252
I've never used chocolate in them before, but used to love cocoa in my pancakes, especially when I could still find Boysenberry syrup locally.

Nothing special tonight, just chunked up some smoked sausage, fried with cabbage, bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, shallots, seasonings and some COTC and a baked potato. Of course, garden fresh herbs of parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, and I think some cilantro was put in there, but I started on the cocktails and forgot everything. Lol!