Tripath chips/modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any experience with variety of Tripath chips/modules?

I only know the sound of TA2022, TA2024. I own both.

What about the TA0105A (I think Audio Research 150.2 used these and Bel Canto Evo 200.2?) or TK2050, TA3020?

Or TDA2500. I read someone here saying these are the best of Tripath.

I would like to hear some more info about these if possible. Technical and sound wise.

To me Tripath was and still is the best sounding chip. I know there are “better” measurements with other manufacturers’ products but none of them give me the same soulful sound as Tripath does.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Sure’s “T-Amp” is Tripath. Can someone comment?

I had the Sure AA-AB32512 but it was not as sweet sounding as the TA2022 amp I have.

Hi jencelo,,
Sure AA-AB32512 should be build with TC2001 (Tripath) and STA516 (ST). The TC2001 is found underneath the huge heatsink. TC2001 is the modulator so it is "class T".

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have asked differently. I was trying to say if it ST purchased Tripath technology when they went under. Regardless, to my ears they sounded different. Yes, it wasn’t bad at all but didn’t quite find it as soulful sounding as TA2022. I don’t know why but I try other amps and keep coming back to Tripath:)

The information I find on the Internet regarding Tripath after the bankruptcy points in all direction.
More consistently, Cirrus Logic took over the intellectual property of Tripath while the physical assets were auctioned off.
A production in Korea took place sometimes later and some claim it was legally solid while the compliance with original designs is unknown.
Some claim the original Tripath products to have some stability problems. Other claim the original products to sound better than those "fake" produced afterwards.

ST still produces power bridges that are similar to those produced by Tripath. Nobody states ST to have bought parts of Tripath. The power bridges hardly include particular Tripath features so ST may not have needed to take over Tripath technology.

In particular TC2000/TC2001 are still used by a number of amplifier manufacturers so there must be a kind of stable production behind.

It is a bit like with Elvis, you can believe what you like.

TA2020 and TA2022 are the most reputed products. Tripath further produced ICs with driver facilities only and those who knew them hold a high esteem.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.