2 way recommendation with a PLASTIC enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. sorry, a bit of a departure from diy but over the years ive become quite allergic to wood resin as ive just found out from my dermatologist recently. Have sold all my diy speakers which were either mdf or birch ply made.

Until i can figure out how to get around this, looks like my only option is plastic enclosures, and a lot of PA speakers come up under the search for this.

I suppose i could use the enclosure and econowave the thing eventually but until then, could i have a recommendation for a budget ready made 2 way in PLASTIC enclosure?

Thank you

2 way active monitors from Genelec, Neumann, etc... offer good sound quality and good value for money in cast aluminium and plastic enclosures. Wood is a good but not ideal material for speaker cabinets and so when aesthetic and ease of use reasons for using it are lessened other materials tend to get used.

I am currently building PLA plastic speakers you can make with 3d printer. It is certainly possible to make good sounding plastic speakers as well. I recently promoted my design in finnish hifi expo, where it had good reception.

7PUH71D.jpg

Here is an alternative approach to using plastic, though the finish is possibly beyond the limit of the average DIYer:

Shan Shimna

They use some kind of mineral-loaded composite, which is subjectively very inert. I had a pair of these years ago, and they sounded remarkably un-box-bound, though in my opinion their performance was ultimately limited by the choice of drivers, particularly the plastic-domed tweeters. I eventually sold mine to the original designer, who had been looking for a pair to show his son what he used to do for a living...

Alex

Plaastic can work but I think it needs to be thick, heavy and a lot of bracing.
It works very well with very thin, very light and massive mass loading as well.

The enclosure can either be very rigid (resonances above driver freq. range) or very floppy (resonances below driver freq. range). By building a very floppy enclosure and damping it, the resonances still exist but are lowered a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.