ACA speaker binding post issues

I have 2 ACA kits the first one I completed 7 months ago and has no issues. The second kit I just completed and I am having problems getting a good connection to the speakers. I noticed the binding posts in this new kit are slightly different than the first kit. There is no brass/copper? shoulder sticking above the plastic, the plastic holding the contact point and the contact itself are flush so when you snug them down on a spade it hits the plastic and not the contact, unless you really fuss with it and crank it down. In the image below the first kit is on the right and the new kit is on the left. Is this a bad part? I don't see how it can work. All 4 posts in the new kit are like this.

--Doug

IMG_1358.jpeg

Ok, by flipping the clear plastic ring over it allows for a flush mount to the panel and now the post is above the plastic. There is just enough threads on the post to fit the lock washer and nut. Here you can see the flipped ring on the black post, so now the post is sitting on top of the clear ring rather than inside the ring.
IMG_1361.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Member "dcleven" is correct, he does have the speaker posts that are included with the kit. These posts are not too common because they are smaller than standard due to the limited space on the ACA back panel, so I can't find a substitute for now. What dcleven did will certainly work, and it will be a pleasure to use with spades.

However "NIcoch58" is right: if you remove the clear ring and sand it down until the gold metal will slightly project from it then install it as before, it comes out awesomely and there will be plenty of threads on the inside of the chassis. It took me about 60 six inch back and forths on 220 grit sandpaper to sand down the ring. This is the preferred method and is DIY!

Because the rear panel is thicker than most, I suggest inserting the stepped black plastic sleeve from the inside. There is then no need for the black plastic washer and the sleeve will be held firmly in place when the gold nut is threaded onto the gold threaded post and tightened.

Member "dcleven" is correct, he does have the speaker posts that are included with the kit. These posts are not too common because they are smaller than standard due to the limited space on the ACA back panel, so I can't find a substitute for now. What dcleven did will certainly work, and it will be a pleasure to use with spades.

However "NIcoch58" is right: if you remove the clear ring and sand it down until the gold metal will slightly project from it then install it as before, it comes out awesomely and there will be plenty of threads on the inside of the chassis. It took me about 60 six inch back and forths on 220 grit sandpaper to sand down the ring. This is the preferred method and is DIY!

Because the rear panel is thicker than most, I suggest inserting the stepped black plastic sleeve from the inside. There is then no need for the black plastic washer and the sleeve will be held firmly in place when the gold nut is threaded onto the gold threaded post and tightened.
It never occurred to me to sand the clear ring, that makes the most sense and how I will proceed. Thank you all!
--Doug