Acoustat Answer Man is here

hi, you guys are awesome, but there is another issue, the sound is truly beautiful but the subwoofer is breaking up around the cone where it moves up and down. Fragments are falling off see images please... - it's breaking my heart... I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to replace the subwoofer speakers - maybe I could match them online then fit and solder them in??. Also, I can not register to join Audiogon - it's not allowing new registrations...

Attachments

• tempImagemQtkvI.gif
    tempImagemQtkvI.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • tempImagewxQtXC.gif
    tempImagewxQtXC.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • tempImagenSE7l6.gif
    tempImagenSE7l6.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
That's unfortunate, but also very typical of foam-surround woofers of a certain age. Yes, the woofer can be replaced, but I don't have any specific recommendations. You might consider selling the speakers as-is (with full disclosure regarding the woofers' condition) and let the buyer deal with finding a suitable replacement and possible modification to the crossover. Afterall, how much work do you want to put into something you are just going to sell? Whereas, for the buyer, replacing the woofer could be a labor of love and an interesting journey.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Raymond, you have the exact problem I described in my original response to you. It’s unfortunate, but as AcoustatAnswerMan said, you may need to sell them as is unless you wish to take on a project. I repaired mine with an inexpensive kit, but had to remove the woofers to do so. Ironically, I sold the pair of repaired woofers on eBay really cheap just a couple of years ago and went with separate subs.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
I purchased a reasonably priced repair kit for a 10" speaker from Parts Express. It comes with everything you need to repair both speakers, including glue. It may be possible to do the repairs without removing the speakers from the cabinet, but I think I removed mine first. Basically you just clean off as much of the old disintegrating foam as possible and carefully glue a new surround ring in place. Not rocket science, but requires some patience. There are youtube videos on the process.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Love it, and it looks so easy in the videos. As AAMan said, the electros make it really good.. so maybe its time to restore.. love you guys and will be asking for advice soon as this is deceased estate audiophile stuff.. I will check in.. p.s. I checked AU ebay and found some things, please have a look if youthink I can use this stuff. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0.l1313&_nkw=10+in+ch+speaker+repair&_sacat=0