Adcom 5503 issue. Odd part...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,
Have been a member over at AK for about 10 years now, and after talking with a friend there, he suggested trying this community.

I just purchased an Adcom 5503 in original box. Unit has supposedly been sitting in storage all these years, and has a coating of dust that might be that old!
Wanting to be cautious before plugging in and melting something, as well as cleaning up the fire hazard, I took off the top cover. While cleaning inside, I came across three (3) small copper bars sitting loose on the bottom. They are about 1.25" x .25" x .125" in size and have no holes or other features. My first guess is they are some seriously high current jumpers, but I can not find a schematic or wiring diagram to confirm.

I have read several articles and interviews about Nelson Pass and his innovative products, and hate the thought of damaging one through ignorance.
Having some experience with electronics, (as well as a dim-bulb tester!) I will eventually plug this in, but am hoping some here could point me in a helpful direction.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

John

A picture would help...

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the thought, Chamberman.
Picture added!

All three bars show signs of having been stuck to something else. Only the middle bar has that side facing up in the photo.
My biggest concern is that there might be a 4th bar stuck someplace inside where it doesn't belong.

John

Attachments

• Adcom5503_copper_bars.jpg
    Adcom5503_copper_bars.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
Mystery solved!
It appears they are what are known as "heat spreaders".
In the Adcom amps they are used to balance the temperature between the differential input pairs.

Thanks to those who contributed in my efforts.
Now if I can just figure out what glue to use to put the little devils back on...

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.