Balanced Zen Line Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mad K,

The wiring looks great. Seems like it took a lot of your precious time. ;)
But hey, the result was worth it.
I'm building one myself also. Copied the original board and started etching in the kitchen. So far so good. All components have arrieved, except the balanced stereo output pot.

I noticed you used a dact. That was on my list too untill i saw the price : Euro 315,- Is that a price one has to pay in the Norway aswell ?:bigeyes:

Any tips of shops in Europe that would sell 'm for less ?

Greetz,
Nick

Here's the "under construction" picture :cool:

Attachments

• bzls.jpg
    bzls.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,351
I'm, driving my Aleph30, shown here:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6966&highlight=aleph30

As I have balanced out of my CD, soon-to-be balanced from my computer (new project: balanced cable driver for my SB Audigy), and unbalanced the rest; I'm doing both.

The phone pre are in for a redesign, as I didn't like the first circuit. It's coming up REAL soon. One can't listen to CD all the time you know
:D

Here's the new phono-plan: http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9628&highlight=ultrasimple

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
24 steps are too few

If I am a professional and have to think about the market demands, Yeah, I might use a 32-step attenuator. But, DIY is just for me, so it doesn’t matter even with a custom-built 12-step attenuator… Daily, I touch two or three or four steps and hardly more… --Only a thinking--

update

I've updated my bzls with a new (and improved) rectifier:)
Initially I just used what was laying around, but after reading so much about the sonic impact of rectifier diodes, I felt that I must give it a try.. So instead of the single 6A standard bridge, I went all out and made a discrete dual bridge of the new Hyperfast- Soft Recovery (Stealth™ Family) diodes from Fairchildsemi. The actual model are the ISL9R8120P2 8A, 1200V STEALTH DIODE, TO220 http://parametric.fairchildsemi.com/datasheet.asp?PN=ISL9R8120P2&FAM=Rectifier&P=35054

Contrary to my expectations it made a really big difference!!!
I haven't had much time to listen (and the diodes are not burned in yet), but it was like a window-washing! The sound cleared throughout the entire spectrum. More detalied, yet smoother. Soundstaging is better.

I didn't try other types, but I believe the stealth diodes from fairchild are some of the best. Anyone who hasn't read this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12539&highlight=high+speed+diodes should do so...

So from now on I will not use ordinary rectifiers in my amps anymore;)

Here comes some pics of the update:

Attachments

• bzls_stealth2.jpg
    bzls_stealth2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,351
JOE DIRT® said:
good Job on the install!!!

The DIRT®

Thanks!

I don't know if you noticed, but the board actually got a little too long ('cause I was listening to the amp while I made it;)), and I had to cut it. I also meant for the diodes to stand upright, but the standoffs in my box where so long, I had to bend them so they wouldn't short to the top cover:cool:

Re: Re: Balanced...

Cobra2 said:
BTW, Have anybody compared the linestage with Aleph P ?
And, what would be the better sounding???

ArneK

I believe they don't sound much different, except if you use it as a unbal.->bal. converter and is driving a true diff. amp like the aleph-x. The P is a much better converter because of the activce current sources. But for me, I like the passive cs. I'm not planning to go X either, so... Regular aleph is just an amazing amp;)

Mads,
Thanks for keeping us updated on your BZLS.
I noticed in one of Peter Daniel's threads that he
uses shunting caps too on his Gain Klone bridges...
(is that correct terminology?) maybe something to try later?
or do Hyper-fast diodes not benefit from that mod?

I shouldn't even be thinking about mods until i get
my BOSOZ in a finished chasis! ;)

keep up the good work

m.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.