Behringer DCX 2496 to prototype active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I have a tri-amp system and bought DCX2496 exactly for the purpose to optimize the crossovers.
it is a fantastic unit as far as the functionality is concerned. However, the bad news is that it completely destroys detail in the sound, basically turning high end system to the mid-fi one.
At first I thought that signal level matching was a problem. So I built active six channel volume control (thanks everybody on this forum for help) and placed it after the DCX. Sound improved somewhat, but the lack of detail (or distortion) is still prominent.
The best thing is to use DCX with some CAD software and soundcard. I am using TrueRTA spectrum analizer ($100). My goal is to approximate driver + crossover response to that of the 4th order LR filter.
First, I looped DCX with a soundcard and generated set of 4th order LR curves with different cutoff frequencies. Then I added whole chain in the loop (card out -> DCX -> amp -> speaker -> mic -> mic amp -> card in), turned on pink noise and tried to approximate overall response to one of the pre-generated curves.
It is still a work in progress. The encouriging result is that I can get away with second order filters. This is a big thing because reducing filter sections will diminish cost of the real analog crosover significantly.
To summarize, DCX is a great thing to play with, but I would not use it in a high end system.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Irakli said:
At first I thought that signal level matching was a problem. So I built active six channel volume control (thanks everybody on this forum for help) and placed it after the DCX. Sound improved somewhat, but the lack of detail (or distortion) is still prominent.

Two words- Gain Structure!

As pro kit needs much greater signal levels to work efficiently, especially with an A-D first stage, you need to boost the input signal level as well.

Hi

that SI 6 channel remote volume Kit at Altronics OZ is being reduced to just AUS150 (US100 approx.) If one can only get the DCX signal strength down and pop in better buffer Ics sure would make a clean solution for controlling volume to six amps needed with the DCX 2496. Looks like the case alone sell for AUD$99 retail. Will go and break out my piggy bank for it. Funny how we do thing backwards.
I still have to get the DCX 2496 itself! I'm still using an analogue
3way active 24db crossover. There I was going on about prototyping with the DCX2496 and then making high quality Analogue boards from the listening data! Maybe a DCX2496 in 2006 or in the OZ group buy?

Regards

AnthonyPT

PS URls are on an earlier post on this topic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.