Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

Last edited:
I've never felt the need. Easy to move the tweeters the tiny amount required at my ~12Hz X/O points.
I appreciate it is different strokes for different folks.
It's a little difficult to move the internal tweeter diaphragm of the BMS 4592 ND 2" throat driver relative to the midrange diaphragm. The reason why there is a time delay offset between diaphragms is due to the inability to package the two diaphragms close enough together to be time aligned at crossover at the base of the driver's phase plug.

The effect of the added tweeter diaphragm time delay is to change the overall timbre of the driver so that it's quite neutral in sound--as well as much more coherent sounding overall. Relative to the left/right TAD TD-4002 drivers in my setup, the addition of the one wavelength time delay at ~5 to 6 kHz in my center loudspeaker was a pretty big deal for anyone with ears listening to the front three loudspeakers (i.e., the decision whether replace the compression driver with something else or leave in the setup).

I suppose if you haven't heard the difference, you might tend to discount its effect on overall sound quality. In my particular case, a small difference in timbre is a pretty big deal.

BTW: you introduce another 180 degrees of phase lag on the lower frequency diaphragm relative to the higher frequency diaphragm at the internal crossover interference band using a 12 db/octave (second order) crossover network. That's 540 degrees of phase lag overall that you're carrying--just inside the driver itself. If you can't hear that, perhaps your hi-fi needs aren't very stringent.

Chris

Last edited:
I suppose if you haven't heard the difference, you might tend to discount its effect on overall sound quality. In my particular case, a small difference in timbre is a pretty big deal.
👍

Oh I've heard the differences it can make.
I'm an avid DSP time aligner, apart from my passive Raal Lazy tweeters that I can move at will.

Reactions: 1 user
@Cask05

Hi Chris,
Excuse me, maybe a bit off topic.. but would I really like to ask you some questions in private chat, as I am very keen on the MEH K-402 build!
The problem is that I am new to this forum and can't start a private chat myself yet, because of the restrictions.
But I am very enthused about the design and would love to chat about it!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Chris,
Excuse me, maybe a bit off topic.. but would I really like to ask you some questions in private chat, as I am very keen on the MEH K-402 build!
The problem is that I am new to this forum and can't start a private chat myself yet, because of the restrictions.
But I am very enthused about the design and would love to chat about it!
cmon share it publicly a lot of us would be interested on the insights.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi

Well I can´t help to say this, and it may sound arrogant. I think it is perfectly OK to ask for a private conversation to keep focus!

Chris shares his insights all over the place. If you follow his trail here and also in the past on the Klipsch forum there are tons of insights. It´s a bit spread around and it takes some time to dig into it. Look for threads on Synergies and MEH´s.

He has contributed a lot of his points/insights in Mark100´s SYN11-thread.

Regards

Steffen

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible to archive 0.145 ms delay with a passive x-over for the tweeter to time align the 4592ND?
You can get phase shift with a passive crossover but no "real" delay. There was a nice article not long ago in AudioXpress I belive ... (Jan Didden, was in the mail but could not find it oline?)
"Audio Myths
Phase Shift Is Not Time Delay!"

Reactions: 1 user
To say that phase can be said to be just time delay is wrong but a pure time delay can be described as phase. Apparent time delay as seen from a certain frequency is quite different from transient behavior, but what we are debating here is a case of physical offset that is to be addressed as time delay and not phase.

he main difference between delay and phase is that delay is the rate of phase over a band of frequencies.

haha...i'd say the main difference is they have nothing to do with each other

Other than simple math that says a given amount of time equals so many degrees of phase delay at a given frequency...
can't use that for anything really...

Last edited: