Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is not easy to answer at all. One should have access to both and measure them in the same horn, with the same equipment and settings. By the available curves one can suspect the Radian of having more small resonances, but phase plug geometry affects the performance a lot, and this it not revealed by these measurements. The output level at high frequencies is very low for the Radian. It may be a poor fit to that horn, but I have not gone into detail to check that. If the exit angle of the Radian is higher than the entry angle of the horn, one can get a suckout in the response. But as I have worked with the 1480Be, I can say that it is a pretty good driver.
Thanks for replying. Notice that as per the above link, when Troy Crowe measured and listened to the 1480Be he did so with this horn. https://josephcrowe.com/products/es-600-bi-radial-horn-3d-cad-file

I have a brand new pair of those same Radians which I want to ship to him to review against my pair of vintage Yamaha JA6681B. Troy might test both the Yamahas and Radians in the ES600 horn, though more likely in this one. https://josephcrowe.com/products/cu...del-make-any-size?_pos=4&_sid=d357e67d0&_ss=r and using this adapter. https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/...2-for-yuichi-a290?_pos=2&_sid=d357e67d0&_ss=r

At the moment, I'm trying to find a secure and more affordable way to get the Radians shipped via UPS from NY to Canada. That duty tax can be a killer.
Though the tests have yet to be done, of course, please share any experiences, thoughts and advise you may have about these drivers, Ditto the B & C DCM50, though a very different driver.

- When people test beryllium compression drivers, even 4 inch drivers, where the main break up is well within the audible range, people describes them as having "the same sound as beryllium domes", while small beryllium domes do not ring in within the audible range. They do not have the same type of sound.
Price aside, the smoother high frequency response, higher sensitivity due to lighter weight, and lack of ringing of the beryllium diaphragm on the same driver and horn are quite visible in the video linked in #1830:

BE vs TiN.png

Of interest, there are many users that prefer the "sparkle" the additional 4 (or more) milliseconds of high frequency ringing the titanium or aluminum diaphragms have over the beryllium diaphragms.

Art

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did recommend the DCM50 as a candidate for testing in 600-800mm horn to a friend, but I never dragged my *** over and listened to them myself. He was very pleased with them and described them as warm an generous down towards the cutoff of the horn. But maybe not a great candidate for high crossover points.
This is exactly what Troy Crowe and Lynn Olson agreed on for Lynn's "Beyond the Ariel" speakers; post # 15,334. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/beyond-the-ariel.100392/page-767

Lynn's been away from that thread for weeks but for someone who's forever heaped praises on neutral sounding berylliums why would he now choose a warm sounding paper/polymide driver? I could see if much of Lynn's source material were worn out vinyl, analog tape and/or CD recordings hit with too much compression and/or congested sounding orchestral passages, due to tape saturation, poor miking/baffling techniques. Then he might well fear exactly what I do-the Radians, however carefully EQed, will accentuate the worst sounding aspects of my CDs. That's why I want to ship them to Troy; so he can tweak them and hear them will ~ 35 of my uncompressed WAV files of CD track rips via my Google drive.

- Firstly, a pair of 1 inch domes typically contains a couple of Euro worth of diaphragm material. The process of making them is similar to that of making aluminium or titanium domes. I see no reason why every Be dome should be priced several hundred Euro over their aluminium or titanium counterparts.
Don't know ... there is only one company in the world which can do it as far as I know that's probably part of the price problem ...

- Secondly, in some cases, there are other metal domes that perform at least at the same level as their beryllium counterpart. One great example is the Bliesma T34A vs the T34B. Still people go for the beryllium version without hesitation. Some have even described the sound difference. It is like a copy-paste of any other beryllium vs anything else-review. It is like people struggle to listen past the material. A bit like when people are unable to un-hear the "metallic sound" of a metal dome, while the flawed dispersion pattern of a soft dome just gives "soft sound".
Did you compared the sound of both T34? I only had the T34A here in a prototype and compared in a well dampened room to T25B. And prefered T25B.
But T34A is crazy off axis, I had the impression there is even more top end off axis as with T25B.
I didn't had the chance to give a listen to the T34B but to be honest also being curious if there is a lot of sound difference beside the off axis behaviour - resonance frequencies are pretty close.

When people test beryllium compression drivers, even 4 inch drivers, where the main break up is well within the audible range, people describes them as having "the same sound as beryllium domes", while small beryllium domes do not ring in within the audible range. They do not have the same type of sound.

Hello

Can you point out where you have seen break up modes in 4" Be compression driver measurements?

Rob :)

It is hard to determine such things on frequency response curves as everything is filtered through a phase plug. I will however recommend this article:

https://audioxpress.com/article/Voice-Coil-Spotlight-The-Beryllium-Advantage

If we look at this figure:
1707398510561.png

We can clearly see that beryllium is a significant improvement over aluminium or titanium. However, we can also see that there are several wavelengths within the radius of the dome at 4 inch/26,9kHz. The 1 inch dome has its first resonance at 26,16kHz. Moving up to a 4 inch with the same profile, this should give us the same initial resonance at around 6,5kHz. What we typically consider to be the break up point is close to 1 octave above this point. The first resonance is typically not as pronounced on domes as it is on cone drivers, so it is really not to be regarded as a problem.

But there are two huge factors to add to this. One is that the above figure is very shape dependent. To my understanding, it is based on a simple dome with the materials Youngs modulus and mass as the main mechanical properties. In practica cases we can see 1 inch aluminium domes breaking up at 15kHz, but also at 30kHz. This is very shape dependent. There are also other properties in the material that comes into play when we use a taller dome profile. It is a bit like comparing a flat stone bridge to a flat steel bridge. It does not tell us all about the differences between arced stone and steel bridges.

Also, my comment was that the typical sonic signature of a beryllium 4 inch dome would not be the same as a 1 inch beryllium dome should be valid. It is more reasonable to say that the sonic signature of a beryllium 4 inch dome is close to the sonic signature of a 2 inch aluminium dome.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you compared the sound of both T34?

Unfortunately I have not had the oportunity to do that. But I see that they are both measured by Audio Compass. It is quite fascinating to see how close they are to each other.

I often argue that top end dispersion is one of the audible advantages of great metal domes. It seems like you have come to the same conclusion.

Lynn's been away from that thread for weeks but for someone who's forever heaped praises on neutral sounding berylliums why would he now choose a warm sounding paper/polymide driver?

My description, and probably @superlian (who I recommended it to) did also focus on this, is that the interaction between the driver and the horns low end seemed to work unusually well for larger midrange horns. I do not think he used it very high up in frequency, so the sonic character of the material itself should not contribute. I do not know Mr @Lynn Olson 's project, so I have no clue how they are using it.

It is hard to determine such things on frequency response curves as everything is filtered through a phase plug. I will however recommend this article:
Thanks

Might be on an FR curve although typically the peaks are visible you have irregularities in the impedance curve and clearly visible in a waterfall plot
The 1 inch dome has its first resonance at 26,16kHz. Moving up to a 4 inch with the same profile, this should give us the same initial resonance at around 6,5kHz.

The domes in the table are all 4" How are we moving up from a 1" dome? 26.19k is the first on a 4" not a 1"? Are you considering the 1st bend mode as a resonance?

I don't see how you could off the cuff say that this 4" Be should sound like a 2" Al.

Based on what??? Really should be looking waterfalls to see what is actually happening.

Reactions: 1 user
But if i compare all factors i honestly think i have better sound today with my current system on the picture here and it is better sounding that almost every other systems i have heard. I am very «afraid» of selling the JBL2451 Truextent beryllium drivers i have. Maybee i never get as good sound again?

IMG_5543.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately I have not had the oportunity to do that. But I see that they are both measured by Audio Compass. It is quite fascinating to see how close they are to each other.

I often argue that top end dispersion is one of the audible advantages of great metal domes. It seems like you have come to the same conclusion.
I have an ambivalent "relation" to metal domes. I really dislike the older metal domes with resonance frequencies in the 18-23kHz area. And I really like the Beryllium domes from Bliesma or Scanspeak with their very high resonance Frequencies (35/50kHz). I still prefer T25B over T25A in direct comparison ... not exactly sure why cause T25A resonance is already relatively high. But T25A is way better as old metal domes for me.

So I run with the thesis to use hard dome tweeters with as high resonance as possible but not exactly sure why and where the needed limit is.
(I can imagine why - to get perfect piston movement without first breakups starting. The laser scan in your link shows unstabilities in the domes before they break up in a mode, maybe that's a point. But that's not proven so far.)

Back to compression drivers - I prefer ring radiator drivers so far, BMS Coax or B&C DE360. They don't have nasty breakups and stay on the nice sounding side - this can be helpful in PA situations. But at high levels they get a little to "nice" compared to the truth.

I should have put my glasses on there... But how can they claim that the different modes are at the same frequency?

I don't know??? 1" vs 4" you would expect the 1" to be higher and I didn't see any references to 1" unless I missed it somewhere? That data is from the Materion large format compression driver materials comparison AFAIK it was all based on 4" domes. And they used a JBL core to test.

I don't know??? 1" vs 4" you would expect the 1" to be higher and I didn't see any references to 1" unless I missed it somewhere? That data is from the Materion large format compression driver materials comparison AFAIK it was all based on 4" domes. And they used a JBL core to test.

Are you sure those are not simulations? Maybe the diameter has been considered secondary, so they have tried to match the size of the dome so that every mode ends up on the same frequency? I have no idea to be honest.