Better picture using s video in on tv or avg (composite in) on HDTV?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently I watch movies from my computer onto my 57" HDTV. Right now I am using the svideo out on my video card to the s video in on the back of my HDTV. My question is would I get better picture on my tv if I use the AVG out on the back of my video card and plug it into the component in on the back of my HDTV? I am trying to find the best way to get the best picture from my video card on my comp to my HDTV, if that requires me to get a new video card I will. Now I have also seen DVI out on the back of video cards. Would DVI be even better picture than AVI or svideo? I am new to this video stuff. Help is greatly appreciated:)

Well, any progressive signal will be superior to the interlaced video of S-Video or composite. VGA or DVI will be much better. It depends upon what inputs your hdtv has mostly.

VGA and component signals aren't directly compatible. Some of the recent ATI Radeon cards support component out right out of the box. If it's time to upgrade your video card, I'd recommend going that route.

Definitely move up to something better than s-video. You have an HDTV, so why waste time feeding it an interlaced signal. That defeats the purpose of having a progressive scan TV in the first place.

faithblinded said:
Well, any progressive signal will be superior to the interlaced video of S-Video or composite. VGA or DVI will be much better. It depends upon what inputs your hdtv has mostly.

VGA and component signals aren't directly compatible. Some of the recent ATI Radeon cards support component out right out of the box. If it's time to upgrade your video card, I'd recommend going that route.

Definitely move up to something better than s-video. You have an HDTV, so why waste time feeding it an interlaced signal. That defeats the purpose of having a progressive scan TV in the first place.

Will DVI be a lot better to use than AVI? Also what do you mean by VGA and component signals aren't directly compatible? Does that mean the AVI output on my soundcard and the component input on my HDTV wont work? thanks for your help.

You also need to keep in mind that not all HDTV displays have the same resolution. Yours could be 1080 line interlaced or 720 lines progressive scan. Most 1080 line displays will accept VGA input. You will need to find out what the highest resolution of your display is and what inputs it will accept. "Read the manual" The information is in there. Then you will be able to get that better picture. Remember that the DVD is at best 480p and the limiting factor. Off air or sat. delivered HDTV will produce a better picture that a DVD.

By the way AVI is from the sound card is audio not video. VGA is the video signal that your computer monitor uses.

Later BZ

HDTVman said:
You also need to keep in mind that not all HDTV displays have the same resolution. Yours could be 1080 line interlaced or 720 lines progressive scan. Most 1080 line displays will accept VGA input. You will need to find out what the highest resolution of your display is and what inputs it will accept. "Read the manual" The information is in there. Then you will be able to get that better picture. Remember that the DVD is at best 480p and the limiting factor. Off air or sat. delivered HDTV will produce a better picture that a DVD.

By the way AVI is from the sound card is audio not video. VGA is the video signal that your computer monitor uses.

Later BZ

Sorry, I meant AVG, now my last question is would it be better picture on my HDTV from a newer video card or will AVG out to component in on the back of my HDTV be pretty sharp picture? BTW I check the manual and my HDTV accepts both 1080i and 720p.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.