Building an ultimate low power class A amplifier – my way

Joined 2014
Paid Member
LPCLA boards are stuffed and ready for the next step😁.
These boards are a pleasure to work with! No need to fear smd here, Tombo oversized the pads for very easy soldering. The BJT triplets were assembled separately and gently dropped into the pads, spacing is perfect. For C2 and C3 I used smaller 0805 size 4u7 caps from my stash with the same specs as the BOM.
The next step won’t be as much fun with winter setting in. The garage is cold and thats where the drilling and tapping magic happens.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpeg
    IMG_1347.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Question, I don't remember if Tombo addressed the initial setting of the trimpot before soldering?
It doesn’t matter much as bias is limited to about 1.4 A. But, for trimmer orientation as on the picture (adjustment screw head toward PCB top) turn trimmer max. clockwise for minimal bias.
If trimmer potentiometer is mounted with adjustment screw toward PCB bottom, then it should be set counter clockwise for lower bias current.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I only read first post which sounded encouraging. My question is what other world class amps OP heard (had at his own place) to establish a reference point of what's achievable in real world ?
Hmm. Did you understand first post as my claim that this is THE ultimate amplifier (best in the world)? If so, read again please.

I wouldn’t like that any subjective vs. objective discussion enter this thread. What I listened to in my home (or not) wouldn’t change what I’m able to design even if knowing that something could be better. There are limits and compromises.

Technically (by numbers) this amplifier is mighty fine. My subjective description is actually toned down as my opinion and impressions doesn’t count much (possible bias).
After other members build this amplifier, we will know more for sure.

Reactions: 1 users