Caladan by Clayton Shaw DIY

I really doubt the Dayton tweeter is capable of that without having significant distortion down low at the crossover point. I would personally use a deep waveguide to obtain that waveguide gain to push the distortion lower. Augerpro has an 8 inch waveguide for this specific tweeter which can also help time align to the woofers as well.

IMG_7292.jpeg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
can you think of any commercial design doing that?
The Emerald Physics CS2 comes with d220ti with active crossover set to 1k 48/LR.
simply lowering a d220ti from 1500 to 1200 LR2 on a jbl pt (using a dsp) significantly increased the number of broken diaphragms.
You must listen LOUD.

I haven't had to replace my d220ti diaphragms in my EP CS2......ever.

Last edited:
Inspired by New Record Day video about the Caladan by Clayton Shaw, I decided to do it DYI since shipping costs to Japan are ridiculous (and no international deliveries at the moment provided). My MiniDSP serves as an active crossover for two ICEPower 125ASX2 amplifiers. They sound amazing, using a Linkwitz-Riley filter 48db at 1kHz and some gain in the low end, Never thought open baffle speaker can have such a lot of low end, while the speaker membrane is barely moving. The speaker disapear and you feel like in a live concert. This works also for my music with distorted guitars, not only for the high end demo music. Bass guitars sound so real. This is the first day listening to them after waiting 3months for the delivery of the 12inch speaker drivers....I guess no burn in needed. Clayton Shaw chose the perfect drivers..... View attachment 1270953
Have you inverted the polarity on the tweeters like in the picture?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.34.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.34.47 PM.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 5
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Integrating a speaker into a room is a potentially lengthy process of dealing with acoustics resulting in moving them around and using EQ where that is possible. If you're not sure what to do, at least experiment in those two areas.