Chazz 2 -> AKG 701?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of AKG 701's. How is the Chazz 2 to drive those? Would that be a good match?

I know that Mr. Srajan Ebaen wrote in the test of the AKG 702's
Something on the level of an RWA, Burson or Trafomatic is required.

Chazz is cheaper than Burson and Trafomatic, does anybody know how Chazz 2 compares to e.g. Burson HA 160 on AKG 701 / 702's?

Hi,

I have a pair of AKG 701's. How is the Chazz 2 to drive those? Would that be a good match?

Looking at the technical side, the AKG's are 62 Ohm impedance, the Chazz is OTL (output transformer less) and zero feedback as well.

The headphones (when used with balanced cables) directly connected across the 6AS7 Tube, which in principle is a brialliant idea.

This gives around 300 Ohm Output Impedance when running without negative feedback AND it makes using a balanced wiring harness essentially mandatory to get the best from the Chazz II.

The 300 Ohm output impedance is great for higher impedance 'can's (e.g. Sennheisers), but MAY struggle with lower impedance 'can's, possibly creating overblown bass.

It's impossible to be sure without trying.

You could add 300 Ohm to each drive signal for the AKG's with a homemade adapter and see what results you get.

I know that Mr. Srajan Ebaen wrote in the test of the AKG 702's

Chazz is cheaper than Burson and Trafomatic, does anybody know how Chazz 2 compares to e.g. Burson HA 160 on AKG 701 / 702's?

Price is not necessarily a reliable indicator of quality. It is possible to apply many upgrades to the Chazz II which can increase the price greatly, if it is of concern that the price is too low...

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.