Cheap ADSP21489 + 4in / 6out PCM1798 board

dear all, I purchased the card in question some time ago and while the Chinese software supplied free of charge, although with a limited number of functions, works well, with sigma studio I always encounter a lot of problems as unfortunately I don't know how to use it perfectly. Today I am referring to the spdif optical input which works perfectly with the Chinese software. With sigma studio I can also see the level bars dancing, but only a distorted noise from the outputs. Can you give me some help maybe with an example dspproj?

Dearest, in the meantime I actually solved it. After numerous attempts I found the sequence that works

Connect the card with the USB cable
With the CoreBoard Upgrade program, load MCU files custom made for USBi
Turn on DAC and start playing a song
Connect USBi - green light
Open sigma studio
Turn on adsp 21489
Load project - blu light
Compile download link
Allow all detectors level
OK
On this occasion I make a new request to everyone. In what format should the FIR files be uploaded? I prepared them with Rephase but they don't work. Do you have a FIR that works to attach?

While ago i wrote simple tool to convert .wav files into .txt impulses. https://github.com/igorpie/tools/blob/master/wav2fir.php and web version is at github too.
You can write your own tool. Just assume maximum value (2^23 -1 for 24 bit) = (2^23-1)/(2^23) = "0.9999999" , minimum value is in the same manner -(2^23)/(2^23) = -1
It's very simple , just scaling to max bits value and sout to text.
Sometimes I start virtual machine with webserver and you can convert wavs into text online http://s.shift-line.com/wav2fir/ , but not always

Reactions: 1 user
Might be useful to someone so I measured THD+N on this DSP with PCM1798 DAC. Fed with SPDIF in and E-MU tracker Pre as analyzer I got this result:

thd dsp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I Got hand on the fir48 software ,it workshop flawless for the 2,0 version i Got ,the 2,0 version don’t support sigma studio and usbi ,so if anybody needs the fir48 software ,send me a mail ,i Will be running my dsp i2s ind and put ,using 4 pc of dddac as output dac into an eight Channel preamp i build this Monty and running the inputs purely digitale ,created a spdif card with the wm8804 chip and a tentlabs 12 MHz ocxo ,Can switch between 2 spdif indputs and 2 i2s indputs , i have build new power suply for the dsp board ,the switch mode pus suplyed by the vendor ,are to noisy for my taste ,Will be a Nice system with only one conversion between the digital and analog world

Reactions: 1 users
I received my complete 4in/8out PCM1798 unit from Ali. I managed to snag it for $275 and that includes shipping and tax. Seller raised the price slightly since my purchase, but still significantly cheaper than other sellers...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806414564436.html?

Really impressed with the quality of the case and boards for the price. I like the simplicity of the control software and the front panel interface isn't too bad either. I'll probably do a PCM1794A and OPA1612 swap at some point (have plenty of both already). I removed the SA9227 board and connected an LDAC Bluetooth module without any problems. I noticed that the ADC for inputs A/B are active at the same time as the Bluetooth, so I removed the ADC module.

I have future plans for an active 3-way system using 8x UcD250LP modules. The DSP has more than enough output to drive them directly without buffers, so they're a perfect match. I measured around 7.6Vrms.

My only real gripe is the limited FIR capabilities. Limited to 512 taps per input/output and you can't even redistribute them as needed. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to DSP and speaker correction in general though. Can anyone give any insight on how FIR can be best utilized in my 3-way scenario? I guess worst case is I just don't use it at all. People seemed to get by just fine for years with active systems and no FIR.

I Got hand on the fir48 software ,it workshop flawless for the 2,0 version i Got ,the 2,0 version don’t support sigma studio and usbi ,so if anybody needs the fir48 software ,send me a mail ,i Will be running my dsp i2s ind and put ,using 4 pc of dddac as output dac into an eight Channel preamp i build this Monty and running the inputs purely digitale ,created a spdif card with the wm8804 chip and a tentlabs 12 MHz ocxo ,Can switch between 2 spdif indputs and 2 i2s indputs , i have build new power suply for the dsp board ,the switch mode pus suplyed by the vendor ,are to noisy for my taste ,Will be a Nice system with only one conversion between the digital and analog world
Hi Frede4500,
I have the same board (V2) but I haven't used it in any project yet and I also want to have SPDIF (Toslink) inputs to connect a TV. In the store of one of the sellers of this same board, the version without case, it mentions that the USB board with SA9027 has to be I2S in slave mode.
Does the board that you built with the WM8804 have the I2S in master or slave mode?
I found a WM8804 board that can be configured as master or slave at a cheap price (at least for me):
AA-AB41133 WM8804 S/PDIF And IIS/I2S Audio Signal Transceiver.

Please can you send me fir48 software? Exchanging messages with the seller told me that there are two versions of software and the one I had was the wrong one. I will send you a PM with my email.

This board is interesting because it can implement FIR filters (I have a MiniDSP nanoAVR HDA but it supports IIR only), the information and Igor Pie's software was the piece of the puzzle that I was missing, converting from wav to txt.

@daol My complete unit came with an SA9227 board. I believe the I2S input it connects to near the regulators has ASRC enabled. I can connect an I2S output bluetooth module to the same input and it works, but trying to connect it to one of the two other inputs does not (no ASRC).

Also, like I mentioned in my previous post, the FIR capability is extremely limited, so don't get too excited over that.

Last edited:
@theAnonymous1,

Your message makes me assume that the I2S of the analog input boards are configured in Master mode (PCM1804 generates LRCK and BCK), the datasheet says that they can be configured in both modes: "Audio Interface: Master or Slave Mode Selectable", frede4500 comments that his board with WM8804 has a 12 MHz ocxo tentlabs, which also makes me assume that I2S is Master mode.

Regarding the number of taps, I understand that the greatest number of taps are needed at low frequency, my intention is to build a 2.1 system, HP crossover tweeter at 2 or 3Khz, HP croosver at 100 Hz an LP crossover at 2 or 3 Khz for midwoofer. LP crossover subwoofer at 100 Hz.
The 100 Hz filters would be the problem, more taps would be needed.

I can't find where it is mentioned that there are 512 taps per channel, could you help me? I only found this comment:
1. The old DSP needs to be returned to the supplier for modification or replacement.
2. Frequency resolution=FS/N 96khz/512=187.5Hz or 192khz/512=375Hz
3. The new DSP can directly support the I2S interface of SA9227
4. Need to purchase control panel

My unit came with 2x PCM4202 ADC cards. I haven't bothered to check how they're configured.

The only place I've seen the 512 taps mentioned is on the product page for for the Paul Kitson DP48X, which uses the same firmware/software. I can confirm that at 96kHz you can choose between 256 or 512 taps per input/output. At 192kHz you are limited to only 256 taps.