Chemical gas off in carpets

Is there a way to speed up the process with new carpet?

All I can think of is try spreading it out in a lesser used space, maybe run some kind of air circulation.

Its otherwise unconcerning unless things like a baby might crawl on it or if ppl have respiratory weakness? I'm pretty sure any of the airborn vapors ( some call it a pleasant new carpet smell?) can't be helpful towards that.

if unrolled or already laid out, then just leave windows open.

use to lay a lot carpet glad those days are over.
Good news is the weather is warming up.
I preferred to stretch in when its warmer. because
even if I got a beautiful stretch in cold weather.
It was possible to loose it in spots when temps changed.

If its not laid yet, id keep it in the roll.
Or if layed out but not stretched in.
Any weird folds can crease the backing.
So dont let it sit with weird folds.

New furniture same thing.
Just gotta leave windows open.
I opened stuff 3 days before delivery
So it would start degassing in my warehouse.
Some anti mold stuff in fabric smells like fish
straight out of the box and bagged.
After 3 days no one really noticed.
It is all you can really do, is air it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Baking soda, febreze, turn the heat up, open the windows. I’m sure babies will be breaking into your house to crawl on the new carpet. Those things are everywhere!

Now whenever I emit any “airborne vapors” I’m blaming the new carpet. Seriously though, if it’s warm it wont take long to ‘off gas‘ the industrial smell and it will quickly begin to smell like you and the dog at which point you should clean it with steam.

Thought this was supposed to be about audio?

If you want to de-gas it faster, and you have fine weather outside, you might unroll it and spread it under the Sun for a day or two.

If not possible, only patience will help you.

In any case process will be faster if unrolled: more surface exposed.

I make Guitar cabinets, and before Covid, I bought chipboard or MDF or Phenolic board (plywood or OSB) by the 10 sheet pack, straight from Factory (meaning it was freshly made) and it was impossible to stand for long in the cramped storage room for the first weel; not only hard to breathe but it also hurt my eyes, go figure.

Now I buy by the single sheet or two and it takes a couple months to use, so after the fkirst week no big deal.

It IS toxic, I´ve been going through Medical tests for the last 3 Months, Spirometry shows 40% loss in lung capacity, I am on the edge of EPOC and Emphysema, Tomography shows lots of small scars in my lungs, I have chronic cough and Bronchitis ... and I never ever smoked.

Attribute all to 54 years breathing nasty chemicals, spray painting and sanding.

Oh well.

Thought this was supposed to be about audio?
It IS about Audio or Audio DIY reated.

Quite certain cabinet construction and finish fits in big time, Room sound absorbents too.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ahem, wait till you find out what gipsum dry walls cause.

BTW laying out carpet in the sun is a bad idea as modern”green” carpets easily loose their colors. Especially carpets with grey tones become dull or greenish.

Just leave the windows open as much as possible.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
To have it "off-gassing" find a way to ventilate it from both sides. (Was going to write "through" it, but this obviously won't work)
To absorb the gasses already released, bring in a lot of wool (felt is very good), it absorbs the smell or the smelly gasses if there's a difference, and bring in a lot of lime (as in plastered walls etc.), make sure this is pure lime without any synthetic aggregates, this stuff is unsurpassed at absorbing Sulfur dioxide, sulfur trioxide, nitrogen oxides, formaldehyde...

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Don't mask the smell, it's telling you it's still letting go of chemical residues. Keep the room door shut but windows open to stop the draught from pushing stuff into the house. Then once a day try an hour or two in a closed room to see if it's done.

It'll go faster if the room is warm.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I meant to have the gasses absorbed, not masked, with the use of wool… (masking it would mean the use of a perfume of sorts, not? (What’d be the perfume of wool then—sheep?) :rofl:
AFAIK, wool is a very potent absorber of some chemicals, doctors are known to use it to get this alcohol off the air. But I have to admit that I don’t know wether it absorbs the odors or the gasses.