Choke for preamp to get battery style power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the quest for the ultimate power supply for my preamp I have "stumbled" across the high inductance inductor aka choke. With an inductance of 1-10 H and a current capability of 100-300 mA, a choke would maybe be what is missing in a high-end power supply.

I have not seen them in any non tube commercial premaplifier. Maybe they are too expensive....

Why a choke? I have heard that some say that with chokes, one gets a power supply that sounds as good a battery! And that without the hazzle of having to charge batteries and take good care of the batteries.

Has anyone any experience with chokes for preamps?

The famous Swedish transformer company Lundahl, Lundahl , has three different chokes that mainly are supposed to be used for tube amps, but I think that they can be used for solid state low voltage preamps aswell. OK, DC-resistance is around 30 Ohms, but if one has constant current load (Class A) and compensate for the voltage drop they will be useful I think.

Here are two that I consider:
LL1638.gif

or

LL1673.gif

Sigurd

Hi Sigurd,
When I read this I thought you were referring to an LC psu, which is commonly referred to as a choke supply. Your schematic at the end shows a CL supply which is quite conventional and does not gain any of the advantages of a real choke supply.
I would like to hear your test results once you have had the opportunity to compare the types LC, CL, RC, C.
BTW the low current demands of a preamp would suit this LC whereas poweramps demand enormous chokes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.