• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cinemag SUT CM-14401

Hello,

I am planning to purchase a pair of Cinemag CM-14401. This a version recommended to me by Peter Geren for my particular project. It has the high quality at the CM-1254 but the windings are 1:5, 1:10 and 1:20 and priced the same as the CM-1254. I am willing to do a small group buy to save money if anyone else is interested. At the first qty break the cost will be around $250/pair. I will limit delivery to continental US only.

If there is interest post here or send me a PM.

Does the SUT have different settings? I keep reading that you need to tailor the SUT to the cartridge you use. The Hana S series is 30 ohms with recommended load impedance of 400 ohms (Output voltage 0.5mV). My budgie allows me to adjust input loading from 6.4k (HOMC) to 81.2k (Not down to 400 ohm for the LOMC). The budgie output impedance is 6k ohm. With the SUT and budgie, I could use it with a LOMC, right? Do I need to do any matching with the transformer? Or is this just making sure the transformer ratio is adequate? Sorry for this noob questions, but I feel I’m just missing something small and it will click soon enough..

I just found the language below. So I should get a 1:20 SUT to get cartridge output of .2mV to 4mV, right? Then was resistance setting would be needed on the budge? Again I’m limited from 6.4k to 81.2k. Thanks!

The winding ratio determines how many times the transformer will multiply your cartridge’s output. EG a 1:20 SUT will multiply your output by 20 times from 0.25mV up to 5mV.

As to loading, it’s less important than getting gain around 5mV, but it will divide the standard 47kOhm input impedance of your McIntosh by the square of the step up ratio. EG a 1:20 SUT will divide 47kOhm by 400, for a final input impedance of 100 Ohm.

Basically just trying to say a 1:20 is about right for a DL-103R.

The CM14401 has windings of 1:5,10,20. My MC I want to use it with is the AT OC9XLS which also has 0.5mv output. David Gerren (owner of Cinemag) personally recommended the CM14401 for this application. The transformer will reflect and transform the load of your MM phono input which is usually 47K ohm. So using the 1:10 winding should present a load of ~470ohms to your cartridge. In my build I will provide access to all 3 windings.