Connecting two microphones

Hello all,

I have a peculiar project that I need some insight please.

I own a T10 Shure wireless headset microphone - its cable ends up to a 4-pin (female) plug (maybe the cylinder frame around also acts as a "pin").
I want to connect this microphone to another microphone that I own. The latter is a typical "cone" microphone that when I unscrew the top part, I can see the microphone as well as only two cables connected to it.
My project is the connection of the T10 Shure to the cone microphone but:
1) I don't know which 2 pins of the T10 Shure to connect with the 2 cables of the cone microphone
2) I don't know if this project makes sense anyway in terms of quality of sound achieved

Any input more than welcomed!

Thanks in advance,
Al

You won’t get the results you want by connecting the two microphones together as they may give out different levels, and one will feed the other. You need a mixing desk to add the two together and allow each one to be adjusted independently, something like this: https://cpc.farnell.com/citronic/csm-4/csm-4-mixer-with-usb-bluetooth/dp/LS05383?st=Mixing desk
First one I found, but there are hundreds to choose from

What do you want to feed these microphones into? Recorder, PA system?
What else do you want to add? Instruments etc.
Do you want extra inputs for anything else in the future?

Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the prompt response.
I need to wear the Shure on me and hide the wireless cone mic in my jacket!
In other words, no space or mains power available to use for mixers and the like.
In essence, I want to use the wireless function of the cone mic (same frequency with my portable PA which also works on batteries) but to have the sleek look and comfort of the wireframe design of the Shure headset mic....
Crazy? maybe BUT at least should I try it to see if it works?

The shure waist pack provides DC power to the headset mike. This runs on a different wire than the AC signal back.
Not sure what technology the "cone" mike is but if it has 2 pins it probably is not a condenser mike that requires DC power.
You cannot provide additional input to a headset mike waist pack. 2 channel portable packs are not commonly sold, at least they were not in the last catalog that was sent to me. If a singer wants an additional input, say for a guitar or other instrument, an additional wireless waist pack must be bought. These can have a 1/4 phone plug to connect to the pickup on an electric instrument. The base stations of these two wireless links will plug into 2 inputs of a mixer operated by the sound man.
I use an area coverage cardiode mike (KSM27) to pick up my voice and my instrument (autoharp). The cardioid mike picks up sound from between 10 cm and 2 m. This mike must be plugged into a cable to the mixer, as the mike requires "phantom" (DC) power. I have not noticed wireless cardioid mikes sold. Headset mikes are supercardioid. Supercardiode picks up only 1-3 cm from the capsule. Another supercardioid mike is the extremely common Shure SM87.

Last edited:
The portable PA is Akai SS022A-X6.
I just can't connect the T10 because the receiver needs mains power!
The Shure reciever will run on 12v DC, if the speaker is battery powered as I suspect you just need a simple DC cable to power it

If you connect two mic capsules directly together and talk into one the other acts as a loudspeaker, and a live mic in a pocket will generate clothes rustling noises so this is a bad idea on several levels. The right way to do this would be to disconnect the capsule in the handheld and connect the wire from the headset mic, but then you have to secure the wire somehow and it becomes a point of failure and there is no guarantee the headset mic will be compatible with the reciever.. it may not generate enough signal. The wire between a lavalier or headset mic and it's transmitter is the most common point of failure with commercially produced products and they are designed with robust connectors and strain relief, so how long do you think your DIY solution will last?

Is this the speaker? If so is that a DC connection at the red/black push terminals at bottom right? If there is 12v there when the unit is on it would be dumb simple to power the mic reciever, you just need a DC cable pigtail with the correct connector on one end to plug into the reciever and bare wires at the other end.

Akai speaker.jpg