Covers that are arguably better than the originals:

Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" done by Wall of Voodoo

U2's "Love is Blindness" done by Cassandra Wilson

Tom Wait's "Heart Attack and Vine" done by John Hammond

Iggy Pop's "Success" done by Duran Duran

Allman Bros. "Whipping Post" done by Frank Zappa

Covers that are so HORRIBLE compared to the original the performer should never be allowed near a microphone again:

Hendrix's "Little Wing" as done by Sting.

thinking of buddy jimi

i have kept wondering for a long long time
why the wind whispers Mary

as jimi sings in
"The Wind Cries Mary"

and for whom does the wind cry
and why

/if not for 'joy

i've come to the conclusion, my friend:
- answers are blowing in the wind
----------------------------------------
jesus christ!
I did it again
wh:):)ps

Source of information:
The Wind Cries Mary

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I'M YOUR FAN, the songs of Leonard Cohen by ...
I love this album tho the recording quality is below expectation.

Attachments

• dscf0029.jpg
    dscf0029.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,101
kelticwizard said:
"You Keep Me Hangin' On" is more dynamic by the Vanilla Fudge than by The Supremes

Jazz scholars are gonna hammer me for this one: "Summertime" by Big Brother And The Holding Company, (starring Janis Joplin), is better than the original from "Porgy and Bess".
Yeah, they might hammer you :smash: :D , but i think they`ll forgive you...,for mentioning the dynamics of the Fudge :)
And here is not coversong, but a whole coverguy :rolleyes:
Merry :xmastree: and a Happy New Year to you all :wave:

If you like real hard music:
"Painkiller" , original by Judas Priest, done by Death (R.I.P. Chuck Chuldiner) on "The Sound Of Perseverence"

Chuck was a genius on the guitar, or as a colleague said after his untimely death: If you listen to the development in Chucks playing techniques over the last decade and the last albums, you could not possibly imagine where he would have led guitar playing if he had been able to live longer...

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
"Dedicated To The One I Love" by The Mamas And The Papas is better than the original.

"Baby, It's You" -Smith has the best version. I have no idea how a group of One Hit Wonders with a single unimaginative album could outdo both Motown, (The Shirelles), and the Beatles. But for one brief moment in musical history, that is what they managed to do.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Contrabando Y Traicion

Contrabando Y Traicion by Los Tigres del Norte is a gripping tale of drug smuggling, love, and betrayal, sung to Northern Mexican banda music that kind of sounds like German polkas.

La Lupita covered this song in a PUNK style, sounding like the Sex Pistols.

While I won't say it's actually BETTER than the original, it's a nice variation; it captures the rage and passion of the original in a more raw form.

Unfortunately, the audio quality of most recordings of narcocorrido music like this absolutely sucks.

I am with Peter D. on his reviews of the Revolting ***** and the Dead Kennedies. Along the same line the Lords of the New Church do a version of Like a Virgin (Maddona) which is worth a listen.

The Jesus and Mary Chain do a version of Surfin' USA that is great. Alvin and the Chipmunks also do an admirable job of that old classic.

And now for something completely different. Holly Cole has an album Temptation which covers Tom Waits. Much better than Tom can manage
:)

We love you...

GuySmiley said:

The Jesus and Mary Chain do a version of Surfin' USA that is great.
:)
Not bad at all. :)
But i didn`t see anyone mentioning The Sacred Cowboys with their album: We love You.(Man Made Records)
Here`s the Tracklist
Division 4 Theme (Pearson)
Run, Run, Run.(Reed)
Pablo Picasso . (Richman) also covered by John Cale)
Juke Box Baby (Vega)
Run Trough The Jungle (Fogerty)
Five To One (Morrisson)
Rocket U.S.A (Suicide)
Highway 61 (Dylan)
I`am The Walrus (Lennon& Mcartney)
Curious enough the Rolling stonessong is not on it. :rolleyes:

seems like i've mentioned this elsewhere. Johnny Cash has done some fabulous covers. U2's "One" and NIN's "Hurt" come to mind, but there are many others.

In fact you can check out the "Hurt" video on VH1 these days (when they actually play videos). It's a really good video to go with a really good song.

/andrew