Curved, high WAF, 3-way speaker build

Also, I too prefer a passive crossover.
You can do way more precise crossovers with DSP. Delay drivers for lining up acoustic centers and perfect addition at the crossover point. More precise linearisation. And linearise phase when wanted.

While passive speakers are nice and easy to use and fine when you search for some "mojo" - you can up the game with DSP (at least when you have digital sources anyways).

I am not as adventurous as you however with the wood bending on 3mm ply. I think I will build a half circle form and use a couple layers of glued veneer to get that wonderful curved back. Now I just need to find a cheap source of birch veneer for the inner layers....
I also looked at that option, but couldn't find cheap veneer in my area. Also, if the radius is big enough, like with a 10 inch woofer, 3mm is the best way i think.
If i would redo the speakers, i would also go for veneer layers and using a large mould for the bending/layup.
A tip: Use more than 3 cross braces/horizontal braces to get a good shape. i only used 3 and needed to use brute force to get my flat sides straight-ish.
Watch out with an up-facing woofer with a phase plug. Anything that lands on the diaphragm will be directed down down towards the phase plug and into the VC gap...
I already got some dust in the gap. That's why it has a top cover (didn't think of this reason when designing, but it counts) ;) :ROFLMAO:
You can do way more precise crossovers with DSP. Delay drivers for lining up acoustic centers and perfect addition at the crossover point. More precise linearisation. And linearise phase when wanted.
I have always admired the flexibility of DSP, but its prize is compared to passive is massive (not that its a problem with this build).

Build Update
I finished the second speaker. It reminded of how much i hate finishing. Also, the finish is ugly when looking at it up close. It has a lot of defects, like splintered edges, cracks and bumps. I've grown a lot of respect for those who can build perfectly veneered and finished cabinets.

Discussion
I see that there are two camps on the discussion about crossover so far: passive crossover and DSP.
What about using a passive crossover to get into the ballpark of a flat response and adjust the frequency response using DSP?
This way it eliminates the need of expensive 6 channel DAC/DSP and 6 amps.

What about using a passive crossover to get into the ballpark of a flat response and adjust the frequency response using DSP?
This will also work, but it will be a lot of hassle to get good division on the passive crossover. If you don't have experience designing passive crossovers, this will all take a very long time. Making a good passive crossover for a three-way speaker is quite a difficult task. Just as I understand, in your case it is desirable to be able to correct the acoustic centers of the speakers. So think for yourself, in a sense, you can start with a passive crossover, and if it does not give the desired result, then you can already think about an active crossover.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Did you finish the crossover yet? If so, How does it sound with the upward facing woofer? Does the bass mesh well with the mid and highs?

Also, did you use regular 3mm ply, or Italian Bending Poplar?
I haven't started yet. some parts for measurements will be delivered this week.
I used regular 3mm, triple ply. i bend it against the grain of the two outside layers. to be specific: the outside grain will be vertical, parallel to axis of bending.