Diesel fuel pump in a LADA

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is one of the strangest things I've seen. Not that it works, but that they got it to work.
A high pressure diesel fuel injector pump running a gasoline car. Interestingly, no one in the comments mentions WWII style aircraft engines.
Have a look at this crazy grafting of a diesel fuel pump onto a 4 cylinder gas engine.

Comments?

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of work, but possible, as the in line pumps were only 15 bar, and in older indirect injection engines (and direct too) the pressure was built up in the nozzle.
Did not see the video, but gasoline direct injection is rare, manifold injection is normal.
Diesel burns, so injection occurs for more degrees of crank angle.
Petrol explodes, and the practice now is a high pressure pump on a common rail feeding nozzles with solenoid valves under electronic control.
The first fuel injection systems used throttle body injection, a single nozzle feeding the manifold, a carburetor replacement really.
Tighter emission controls made it necessary to have multiple fuel injection, one for each cylinder.
Injection is into the manifold outside the cylinder, air and gasoline are drawn in on the suction stroke.

Lubrication is provided by the fuel in diesel, it is tested for that every batch.
Petrol / gasoline is very clean, it will remove lubricant, so I would add a little two stroke oil (no to low residue) to the fuel...lots of smoke, and reduced engine life, if a diesel pump has been used.
A factory supplied petrol injection pump would have a system for lubricating the plungers and cams, from the engine lines, those are very fine tolerance parts.

CRDI started with 150 bar pumps, now 1200 bar IIRC.

Stupid, really, some people do things like this for entertainment, at least better use of time than getting high.

Last edited:
Mechanical direct injection. The only reason a diesel will blow up on gas is because of the injection timing (the fuel burns faster so ignites while the piston is still going up) so it makes sense to me that you could run a gasoline engine on a diesel injection pump. No spark needed, just high compression and crap fuel :)

It would be easier with a VW since they made gas and diesel engines with the same mounts/belt arrangement.

Also, DI gas engines are so common it's almost impossible to buy a car that doesn't have it these days, and VW has been using pumps with 2000 Bara while now :)
I think my IDI Jetta was around 150 bar though.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi is the only maker I know of that has successfully sold gasoline direct injection engines.
As compared to developed...
But I have not kept track, as between them Suzuki and Hyundai have about 85% of the car / SUV market here in India.
VW is struggling, they hardly sell. Audi cars sell for scrap value at 5-7 years age.
Ford and GM have exited the local market. Mitsubishi and Nissan also sell hardly any cars, though as Renault cars (with Nissan engines), they have 1% or so of the market.
So I come to know what is sold here, and it is not the same as what is sold in other countries.

There are issues with regard to fuel dribbling from nozzles, and so on, and the need for space for a spark plug, diesels have space there.
The manifold system is successful, and well developed, the system supplier can do changes in the software to get predictable results.

Emission norms are tight, hard to meet, refer to dieselgate, where engine builders with years of expertise had to cheat...

It would have been a better idea to graft the system from an gasoline existing engine to the Lada engine, or simply put a new engine, would cost a lot less than this work, I have seen Hyundai 3 cylinder diesel 1.5 liter sold for $300 in car breaking market, working condition, hook up and use.

Petrol engines are sold per kilo, little market for those.

Last edited:
Petrol engines max. out at about 12:1 compression, and diesels start from 16:1.
Also, ignition timing is different in diesel, gasoline, natural gas, and LPG/ Autogas...crap fuel needs filtering, or the pump will get damaged.

Ignition mapping, advance/retard wrt rpm, so many things to consider.
Lada hardly sells now, I think.

Actually, I sold an old car very cheap, a friend wanted to convert it to electric.
The registry renewal was expensive, and the car worn out, so I let it go.

Battery kits and motor kits are starting to appear from China here.
An AC motor, 7.5 HP, with a variable frequency AC drive, max. about 5000 rpm, fixed in place of the engine to the existing drive train, should work.
Lead acid or lithium batteries...

That would have been a nice project.

A lot of people are doing that to two wheelers, results are unpredictable, as it is diy by half informed people out to save money in the install itself.

by crap fuel I mean low octane. It doesn't need to resist detonation as much :)

7 of 10 of Wards best engines for 2011 used GDI. Almost all new gasoline cars are GDI these days at least in Europe and North America.

"This year’s (2011) winners and the applications tested:

• 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi A6)
  • 2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW Z4/528i)
  • 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i coupe)
  • 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Chrysler 300S/Jeep Wrangler)
  • 2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Edge)
  • 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang Boss 302)
  • 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Buick Regal GS)
  • 1.6L DOHC I-4 (Hyundai Accent/Kia Soul)
  • 2.0L Skyactiv DOHC I-4 (Mazda3)
  • 3.5L DOHC V-6 HEV (Infiniti M35h)
Of those engines, the only ones using conventional multi-port injection rather than DI are the Infiniti hybrid, Chrysler Pentastar and Ford V-8."

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/gdi-dominates-ward-s-10-best-engines-list

Here the average gasoline car is below 2.0 liters...and less than US $18,000.
The GDI itself will be a very big part of the price of the cars above, and big engine means comparatively expensive cars.
Mercedes sells less than 2000 annually here, IIRC.
BMW and Audi even less than that.
I could be out of date on that.

And our fuel is crap, most stations sell adulterated fuel.Nominal is 91 octane, 93 is sold in about 10% of the stations, 97 is rare, 100 is Aviation fuel ,very rare.
Bad fuel would create its own issues.

I know somebody whose daughter had a Ferrari, she would get drums of high octane fuel from Bombay to Hyderabad, 700 km.
Mechanic would fly in from Dubai.
Rich man...

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you watch the video, this is manifold injection. Altho it is a cylinder-injection pump, they are not doing it that way.

So it is about as exotic as our 1996 Mazda, only a hair fancier than the 1993 Chevy Truck.

The fact that the pump is capable of 15 bar is meaningless in manifold injection.

Diesel oil is a lubricant and gasoline is a solvent. They say gasoline will ruin the Diesel pump but they don't say when. In context of a YouTube channel, maybe "never".

Reactions: 1 user
All that effort to make something not very useful was a waste of time.
Just for a YouTube video...
15 bar is enough to run gasoline, it will also spoil the nozzles apart from the fuel pump..

Look for videos on buildin and rebuilding ship main engines, those are Brobdingnagian...

1654163103924.png

CAV Lucas diesel pump, looks similar.

Rotary (distributor) type pump with plunger for pressure and advance / retard timing change device.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They say gasoline will ruin the Diesel pump but they don't say when.
In this video they added some two-stroke oil to the gasoline to lube to injection pump. Better or worse than diesel? Who knows?
The things that surprised me were that they got the pump timing right, and that the pump worked best at near maximum setting, allowing the air intake valve to regulate engine speed. Also surprised that it started and ran so well. It's probably running very rich.

A number of people have mentioned mechanical fuel injection on Mercedes, but did Rolls Royce also do that, maybe before WWII. IIRC, most of the V12 aircraft engines used mechanical injecton at the manifold.
All that effort to make something not very useful was a waste of time.
I disagree. I learned something, it was thought provoking and I enjoyed it. All around good stuff.

We used have a light truck called Matador, the original design was from a company in Hamburg which got taken over by Daimler.
Throttle butterfly on the intake to control speed, not the normal rack on the diesel fuel pump. 1800 cc or so.

Matching pump output to engine fuel requirement is also needed, this pump was never intended for this engine, let alone petrol.

Whoever added two stroke oil to petrol was experienced, so getting the timing right must have been a routine job.

I have seen people adding engine oil to diesel if they suspected kerosene had been mixed with the fuel (long story, political, not relevant), so I knew something like this would be needed...

From my hazy memory, the Rolls Royce fighter engines used something like the diaphragm pump used in cars earlier than 1975 or so, not centrifugal or plunger pumps.

Last edited:
As an aside, I used to mix gasoline with the diesel in my VW in the winter for easier starting...

About a 50:1 mix. I had two bad glow plugs at the time. I used to plug in the block heater but you can't always do that. The gas in the diesel gave me about an extra hour of cooling down and still starting...

On the Mercedes theres a dipstick to check the oil in the Bosch pump, so they had the lack of lubricity figured for.
They were not directly injecting but rather shooting fuel right on 5he back side of the intake valve iirc
It's been a while since I worked on that machine.
It's an extremely cool car.
First fuel injected production car according to its owner.
Heck it's got a fresh battery in it as of last month...