DIY Speaker Stands. Please post!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mine are very similar. I used blue water pipe and filled with sand. The bottom is MDF, the top is made of IKEA countertop (solid wood). A piece of wood on the insde, keeps everything together (top and bottom attached to it with screws). Wallpaper covers the pipe.

Attachments

• sys.jpg
    sys.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,268
hey thanks for the wallpaper idea-I've been trying to decide what to do there-maybe with all the varieties of wallpaper I'll find something I like

mine are held together with a threaded rod through the center bottom is triple thick MDF-matches me DIY roomlens bases(in construction but not shape)- they will get sand filled when they are painted

MDF top & bottom with 4" and 2" ABS pipes. The MDF has 1/4" and 1/2" roundovers. The pipes are counter-sunk into the MDF. There is a threaded rod running down the center of the 4" ABS, which holds it all together. Spikey feet, and it's done! The total cost was less than $45can. Most of the cost was the ABS.

P.S. Yes, those are hockey pucks on the the floor...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,262
MDF stands - another style.

Here are the stands I built for my Audax Home Theater speakers. My wife and I looked a a lot of speaker stands before settling on this style.

The bases are two layers of MDF glued together, the top edge is rounded over. The columns are a four sided box made of 3/4 inch MDF with the edges rounded over with a 1/2 inch roundover bit, dyed black using Aniline dye. The whole assembly was then sprayed with a dead flat clear lacquer.

I filled the columns with kitty litter (unscented, and of course, unused)
The rear channel stands ended up weighing about 70 pounds each!

I had to adjust the gamma on this image to allow you to see any detail. The stands are flat black and disappear when the lights in the theater are turned low.

Joe L.

Attachments

• finishedstandsp7280837.jpg
    finishedstandsp7280837.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,171
nice audax surrounds!

a bit off topic...

I'm building the audax surrounds as my primaries for my small room at school (15'x8'). How do they sound? Do you have any pics of when you were building them?

Gonna build some stands for them too, probably along the lines of the ones posted earlier with the 3inch PVC pipe and threaded rod.

Breeder Reactor Fuel Assy Tube Stands

I found a section of hexagonal stainless steel seamless tubing at a scrapyard. It was originally designed to hold fuel pins for a fast breeder reactor. After cutting the correct lengths, I filled them with sand and lead shot. Bases are MDF. Each stand weighs ~50 lb.

Attachments

• spkrfordiya.jpg
    spkrfordiya.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 685
I made mine using a 3 feet platform and adjustable feet. You get better contact when you don't have a perfectly flat floor. (my appartment is in a 150 year old house...)

I will post photo later but the base look like this.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 532
hello manxam,

see my attachment!

before 4 years I bult this 2-way-speaker after beeing inspired with
the "reference monitor" using Scan Speak -parts.
At the bottom of the stand ( 1/5 of the height ) is the area for
x-over. Above this I filled the stand with sand. So the weight for
the whole unit is about 42 kg.

Wish this is a little help.

Attachments

• moni1.jpg
    moni1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 556
NUKE STANDS

Not sure if te question about attaching the MDF bases to the stands was for me, but here goes. I cut pieces of .250 316SS to fit inside the hex tubing. The plates are threaded 1/4-20 for attaching the wood. I welded a plate into one end of the tube, then shoved camping pad foam through the tube so that it covered the welded in plate. Next, I mixed up some polyester casting resin and poured it into the tube to cover the foam by ~1 inch. Then I filled the tube with a sand and lead shot mixture to about 2 inches from the "top" of the tube and added ~ 1inch of casting resin. The resin seals the thing so sand cannot leak out. Then I welded another plate into the tube - each plate has 6 threaded holes for attaching the MDF bases. They are pretty sturdy. Oh yeah, the fuel assy tubes were never used in the reactor, otherwise they would be radioactive. The reactor (FFTF - Fast Flux Test Facility) was cooled with liquid sodium metal for various reasons. I go to the scrap yard every weekend, but have not found another section of fuel duct - lots of DIY speaker freaks I know want some of it. I believe that FFTFT was the only reactor to use that fuel assy tube configuration. Each tube had ~100 approx. .250" tubes inside which were filled with mixed Pu/U oxide fuel. The Uranium component would get transmuted into Pu during operation, thus "breeding" new fuel.

I posted a picture of one of my stands earlier in the thread but no details of construction.

This type of stand is particulary good because it is easy to construct, even for those without a lot of tools.

The principle is to use threaded rod and nuts that tighten the top and bottom 'plate' against some tubes.

The tubes can be anything that you can get hold of, soil pipe, drain pipe, plumbing pipe. All you need to do is cut the pipes to length (use a mitre saw to get a good square cut) and then bolt them in position using the threaded rod and nuts.

Another advantage is that by adjusting the torque, the stands can be 'tuned'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.