DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if this will help, but I just found this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It looks kinda weak but it does say 7x4 feet. I dunno how that would hold up against a LCD though.

From BGMicro.com
We already had an IR illuminator kit. Why would we want a bigger one? Because it puts out more light. It is brighter and has 72 infra red LEDs instead of 36. The LEDs in both kits are capable of drawing 100mA. each. The Bigger IR ILLUMINATOR kit is designed to operate between 12 and 15VDC, with maximum efficiency at 13.5Vdc. ILLUMINATOR draws between 600-800mA. Units can be daisy chained. At 24 feet, the beam is approx 7x4 feet. PC board measures 3.7"x1.95". Light up the dark with the Bigger IR ILLUMINATOR kit. Complete kit. LED1069............................$25.95

400Watt MH setup: Costs

I just thought I'd let the world know what a light setup can cost.

I've been hesitant to take the plunge, because in looking for parts via the internet, and depending on the choice, you can sheel out HUNDREDS of bucks.

So I went to a place in Calgary called "Commercial Lighting" (look: here's their URL: http://www.comlight.com/ ) and told them what I wanted.

I foolishly asked for a "fixture", which got the salesman off on a bit of a tangent. I *should* have said "socket", which is really what I was looking for.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:
400W Mogul Base clear MH lamp, 4000K: $26
16/3 6' cord & plug: $4.25
400W MH 120/208/240/277V Core & Coil Ballast: $72
Mogul Keyless Socket with Cap: $5

So for $107.25 (Canadian!) I've got the bare bones of the light.

Wiring will happen as time permits.

dave.

someone seen the DIGITAL dlp projecition of star wars 2?

I watched it from 10 rows and then 20 rows back It is really annoying and little lines everywhere like rectangles.
the dlp is not that good I think A little bit annoying. It has a vibraincy but it is not going to be areally good system for a few more years I think till they get that resolution 4 or 5 times better

I prefer to watch that movie with the film one. It is more a fluid like style, by far
I think lcd may look better than dlp because lcd can be more soft looking
the yoda in a thopter scene coming to save in the colisium battle with red blue intense lasers everywhere is more bright and intense but to many little block like looking things in the picture.

made by TEXAS INSTRUMENTS

it said texas intruments on the dlp handouts they gave and that it is produced by the aviaiton company Boeing. they make jets and engines oand this is from star theaters
it is to sharp! little blank lines are everywhere up and down I would not buy that one even if i could afford it
words coming up at the begining of the movie had the jiggies all over them

I saw it at the star empire theater in times s'queer nyc -yep
usually i thought nyc would have the tops and in the square to!
something wrong maybe or it sucks

FIY, ALL dlp units are made by TI, they hold the patent.

secondly, as you said, boeing makes airplanes and jets. how does that relate to projectors? oh, it doesnt.

DLP comes in SO many different designs, and the thing is that is needs many many processors to get a great signal out. farounda (or something like that) makes a $5K engine to process signals for DLP, and there are a few others. if its just straight DLP, then it will be kinda iffy. but go out to a local hi-fi store, and check out a nice higher end one ($20K+), and you will be blown away.

looks like a plasma screen on the wall....

lttle on the edgey?! Just know what I saw

maybe boeing should not be working with barco to
It said they are working together barco is according to some av mag at the library "a phenomonel producer of superior eqiupment in the video world"
I dont know why a jet companys working that -sure is queer
maybe the projectionist was getting funky with the machine or maybe a bad unit I snuck into the other theaters and they had the exacto same look
maybe there was something wrong with ITexas Instruments or boeiing or barco or star theaters hell if i know

Progress!!

Well I thought Id let yall in on my progress, I made this today in about 6 hours.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sorry for the long post but I thought yall had to see this.

Light source

Marklar,

Thanks for posting your pictures. Now I'm full of questions!

Looks like a really nice parabolic reflector, but with everything closed in around the bulb, like that added ring on the front, won't it overheat like happened to undream with the foil?

Does that ring have some sort of condenser lens in it? I thought we had to have a point light source to get a sharp projected image.

Nice job, Marklar! I plan to start my enclosure soon, so that is helpful.

Several days ago, I had mentioned some smearing anomalies on my projected image that I could not figure out, and thanks to everyone that tried to help me out. Well, it turns out that I have two dirty lenses...contact lenses! Good grief. I feel dumb. I guess I've been wearing them too long studying lately, and they needed to be replaced. No more smearing...great picture! Sorry to bother you guys with that. I should have checked the obvious first.

Good luck, everyone! And let's keep it clean! ;)

-f4

Status
Not open for further replies.