Electric Cars Not Doing Well in Extreme Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Oh, the Chinese cars come with the charger, no extra charge...or costs for it.
MG has some models here, they mention it in the ads.
MG is owned by SAIC, China

In the US, the cars come with a 120V charger, designed for a 15A line.

We charge the 17.5Kw battery in our Honda Clarity in the garage. In fact, my wife had an appointment and took that car. I think she put like 15 miles so the car is plugged in right now, likely will take about five hours to fully charge.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aluminum converted to hydrogen, does not turn back to aluminum.

There is no way Al can be converted to H. That would be Alchemy. It could be a catalyst, or it could be a by-product of refining.

We have left a lot of good stuf fin the tailings. The ones from the Sudbury nickel mines is loaded with cobalt.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Never mind that in my book the whole "green house gas" thing is a religious sect until proven otherwise. Nobody seems able to definitely show, using the explanatory power of their own reasoning, or with links to solid scientific articles (see, I'm flexible), that a green house "effect" is anything other than a cult and mass psychosis.

Greenhouses do get hot in the sun. That's a fact. Just like a parked car that is emitting zero CO2. And the elevated temperature has nothing to do with the CO2 they sometimes use to help feed the plants.

I've even heard a few times that maybe CO2 is a black body radiator in the infrared. I'm skeptical, but open to looking at evidence, if there is
https://www.rigb.org/explore-science/explore/blog/who-discovered-greenhouse-effect

Joined 2005
Paid Member
We have been in a warming trend for 12,000 years ( something melted the mile thick ice over Chicago!).
We joked that the Oil Refineries like the one I worked at in Chicago suburb caused all that Ice to melt 12,000 years ago...and killed off the Dinosaurs too..

In all honesty, I do remember in early '90s walking across the parking lot at the oil refinery and having a little difficulty breathing, but 20 years later, having no such issue...all these refineries were required to implement various capital projects to reduce emissions at plant and vehicles (Wet Gas Scrubbers, Gas and Diesel Hydrotreaters, etc...) All this was for the better....agreed...just would hate to see the entire oil industry killed off after making so many technological and environmental advances...

Incidentally, after graduating college I worked in the Nuclear Power industry (ABB Impell), until the industry was basically killed off around 1991.......I wonder how cheap and efficient that power industry would be now had it not slipped away.....

France has been the leader in Nuclear power technology now...and had no issues with that little Russian European gas dispute either...

My career has been mostly oil & gas, but would be perfectly happy for it to die off. It's the 2nd deadliest form of energy by several orders of magnitude even from direct industry deaths, then when you layer on environmental deaths and how many soldiers and civilians have died in wars that were basically about guaranteeing cheap oil supply, refined oil is basically clarified blood.

Reactions: 2 users
As much as I enjoy double clutching on a downshift and hitting the apex perfectly when I can snap some clean upshifts at redline... I find that a modern car with paddleshifters is faster and I keep my hands on the wheel when I need them.

AWD with rear torque vectoring to me is the best of all during a turn. It's an eye opener.

'20 Honda Passport Elite AWD.

But the '14 (or something like that) Acura TLX SH-AWD was even better... ;-)

Is that the car in which you're speaking of clipping the apex?

Chicago had pretty bad smog in the late sixties. You could see the yellow haze from the Western Suburbs. We did a pretty good job cleaning up the air. The traffic is much worse now but the air is cleaner.

I remember being a little kid on the south side of Chicago in the 1960s. The air smelled like gasoline and diesel exhaust, with a metallic odor in the mix. There was an enormous "cat cracker" (chemical plant) a quarter mile from the house I grew up in.

The air is so much cleaner now.

The CO2 issue has nothing to do with plants and that have never been the issue. The increasesed CO2 output changes where in the athmosphere you find different levels of it.The actual reason isnt as straight forward as one might think. Sabine Hossenfelder has a good vid on it on YT in a more precise manor. Search the title below on YT for her channel:
I Misunderstood the Greenhouse Effect. Here's How It Works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is that the car in which you're speaking of clipping the apex?

I always clip the apex, even when I borrowed my brother in laws LWB big american van....

I have a secret list of freeway transition roads.... unfortunately Caltrans has a way of getting rid of the most entertaining ones... like the southbound 5 to the westbound 55.... that one was a left, right, left, with elevation changes, a tow decreasing radius turns and a wide exit turn putting you onto the 55... which was a blind turn so you didn't know if it was wide opened or jammed with traffic... The closest to an E-ticket ride you could imagine.

Then we got the southbound Atlantic exit and side road on the 405.... It's like the Corkscrew... but worse.. absolutely blind, you climb and and then... DROP...

Status
Not open for further replies.