ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B (Stereophile Review Available NOW - July 2023 Edition)

Yes it is. Ten thousand comedians are out of work and I was trying to be funny!

Here is another shot, but you can't see the artwork in this one:

IMG_2307.jpg

Steve Z

Reactions: 1 users
The Sunvalley SV-S1645D has been so seductive as a low-level, vibrant emotion machine that it's been tough to get hours on the TU-8900. Which is not to say the Ele-kit is a poor second, far from it. But the Sunvalley seems a bit more effortless and relaxed.

So this afternoon I put the Ele-kit back in my system with one change -- I installed a pair of NOS Telefunken ECC82 smooth plates in place of the Sylvania 12BH7s I'd been using. Still running the Western Electric 300Bs.

Now we're talking!

First impressions -- nice SQ improvement and lower overall gain (which isn't a bad thing). I'll relate what I hear in more detail after I spend some quality time with this configuration. But this is very promising.

Steve Z

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve had my 8900 for 3 months now and am loving it. After running Gold Lion 300Bs for most of that, I bought some Psvane Acme 2A3 a couple of weeks ago and loving the sound even more. I can’t bring myself to swap the 300Bs back in yet for a proper comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: 3 users
Not in the least. Mr. Fujita, the designer says there is plenty of ampacity in the filament supply to handle the higher filament current of the 12BH7. Victor offers the 12BH7 as an optional driver tube when purchasing from him.

I can't speak to the TU-8600 since I've never owned one.

Steve Z

Reactions: 1 user
I used to really obsess over having tubes precisely matched and wherever possible having balanced sections for dual triode tubes. Over the years I've found that barring really gross discrepancies between tubes in a pair, most of the time I can't tell much difference. Now, I'm not going to pair a NOS Telefunken with a new manufacture Russian tube but I've saved myself a fair amount of money buying tubes of the same brand that aren't guaranteed to be closely matched.

Your mileage may vary, of course. . .

Steve Z

Reactions: 2 users