• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elektor Claus Byrith 4-30

It goes to the ground point on the chassis. It's hard to see on the picture but its on a solder tag that also connects to the earth of the IEC connector, on the bottom right nut that holds the righthand output transformer.

There is a rubber pad under the toroid's mounting plate - you just can't see it in the pic.

There's also an ally screen around the PSU board now.

Last edited:
Here's the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 297
I think that when you omitted the volume control, you have upset the grounding scheme in some way. Personally I would have kept the volume control because it is a good way to adjust the gain of the amplifier, and it makes it more convenient to link it to other components, like a CD player, if you do not have a pre-amplifier to control the volume.

Are those Green wires from the RCA Phono Input Connectors Ground Lug going to a ground point on the amplifier?

Those shielded coax going from the RCA connectors to the PCB . . .
Are the shields at the PCB end connected to the PCB ground?

Those 2 ground connections, one at the RCA connector, and one at the PCB are
what I call a Ground Loop
(that includes the wiring from the Green wire coming from the RCA connector and what ground point it connects to; versus the PCB ground and what point it connects to. All that wiring is a Ground loop that traverses the amplifier at least 2 times the length of the preamp. Loopy Loop anyone?

A Ground loop that includes the input circuitry gets amplified more than any other ground loop. Hmmm.
Check it out.

1. Wires are 1/2 of an Air Transformer.
2. Wires are Resistors.
3. Wires are Inductors.
Any current, and any Magnetic Fields that impinges on the 3 items above, will create a Voltage, which according to Murphy's Law will be amplified.

Grounds are Commonly Misunderstood" - Me

Last edited:
Are those Green wires from the RCA Phono Input Connectors Ground Lug going to a ground point on the amplifier?

Yes. They’re grounded to the chassis via the green wire.

Those shielded coax going from the RCA connectors to the PCB . . .
Are the shields at the PCB end connected to the PCB ground?

Yes.

Those 2 ground connections, one at the RCA connector, and one at the PCB are
what I call a Ground Loop
(that includes the wiring from the Green wire coming from the RCA connector and what ground point it connects to; versus the PCB ground and what point it connects to. All that wiring is a Ground loop that traverses the amplifier at least 2 times the length of the preamp. Loopy Loop anyone?

A Ground loop that includes the input circuitry gets amplified more than any other ground loop. Hmmm.
Check it out.

1. Wires are 1/2 of an Air Transformer.
2. Wires are Resistors.
3. Wires are Inductors.
Any current, and any Magnetic Fields that impinges on the 3 items above, will create a Voltage, which according to Murphy's Law will be amplified.

Grounds are Commonly Misunderstood" - Me

I understand what you're saying but I can't see how else to wire it that might improve things. The amp PCBs are only grounded at one point, via the screen of the coax input leads, which are connected to the single chassis ground point via the green cables. If I remove any of these leads, the hum becomes much louder, not quieter.

is there any mileage in my thought that the PSU for the relay switching board - or the board itself - could be anything to do with this or am I clutching at straws?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I tried that but it hummed very loudly. The amp PCBs are only grounded via the screened cable inputs running from the phono sockets, so the green wires need to be there to ground the sockets.

Try to use just ONE of the green wires, so you break the ground loop. If that works, keep one green wire and connect the grounds of the two RCA input plugs with 10 ohms.

Jan

Thanks Jan. I've just removed the green wire link between the left (as you look at the diagram) phono socket and the right one. Makes no difference whatsoever - so I've left it off. However, removing the link between the righthand socket and chassis ground introduces a load more hum, so I've put that back.

I don't understand why removing the link from the lefthand phono ground connection makes no difference. Surely if the righthand one needs connecting to chassis ground the left does too!?

What you have done does not look correct. There is a good link somewhere on diyaudio for solving hum loops. There should be no green wires on your phono inputs. The power supply 0V should go straight to each PA board not through the phono inputs. Make the power supply 0V the star point and take mains earth and the PA 0V to that.