• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: EL34 Baby Huey Amp and PSU MK2 PCB

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't seem to find tube sockets that will fit the PCB. I have several types in my stash I was planning to use but none come close to fitting. Can someone send me a link for a socket that they have successfully used please :confused:

Thanks!
Andrew

I don't know if it's me but I can't get any socket to fit. I can order new sockets but that will have a month+ lead time and there's no certainty they will fit either. Am I missing something?? :confused:

Attachments

• 20211027_133352.jpg
    20211027_133352.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 189
Indeed I don't think it is the correct socket. I tried the usual metal pins, and the teflon socket with machined solid pins and they fit nicely on the PCB. My PCB octal footprint is my own custom one, with larger soldering pads, larger holes, for easy soldering, and l more flexible mouting depending on socket used. Keep in mind that sometime you have to bend the socket pins to fits, there are a few models of tube socket and or mounting pins out there. You need to make them fit the PCB.

Just got a question from a user regarding the socket mounting on the back. Here my answer. Yes the marking is correct, and yes you mount the socket on the back.

I used a custom reversed octal tube object in Eagle for the PCB. I wanted to show from the user point of view the actual tube pins, if working on the pcb from under the amp. Check the picture, the one on the left is the standard octal tube from Eagle library, the one on the right is my custom reversed octal, with pin number reversed

So to resume the pin number you see are as seen through a transparent pcb, of the tube socket mounted on the back...

Hope it is clearer.

Btw I got my octal tube socket from ebay, here an example:
-Normal ceramic with bend metal pins: 8 Pin Octal Tube socket for EL34 6CA7 6L6 KT88 GZ34 6V6 PCB Mount Gold Plated*1 | eBay
-Ceramic with machined pins: EIZZ 8 Pin Octal Ceramic Tube socket for KT88 EL34 GZ34 6V6 6550 Gold Plated 1PC | eBay
-Over board, Teflon, machined pins type: 2pcs CMC 8pin Tube Socket PTFE Valve Base For KT88 EL34 6SL7 6V6 6SN7 Audio DIY | eBay

New, NOS, Bakeline, Ceramic, TFE, Prices and types are almost endless... I usually buy my tube sockets from Ebay. Boutique sockets are usually exactly the same and much more expensive.

To be sure to get the correct socket always includes 'EL34' in your search string

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited: