Getting started with understanding and building DAC circuit

Hello Guys, im new here

Im an engineering student with a big interrest in Hifi. Im currently using an old fostex cd play as my DAC in my setup, but i have thought about building my own, high-end dac. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on where to start (litterature, schematic etc.) i dont have any particular demands, im just here to learn!

Im a bit ignorant (i guess) when it comes to the digital frontend, and why it can be so damn expensive. I see DACs cost around 3000$ (even way more) and i dont understand why🤔

If you just want to build a DAC based on a DAC chip, you can choose a chip you like and build the application circuit that the manufacturer recommends. The trick is then to learn about PCB design, as the performance can depend critically on the PCB layout.

If you want to understand sigma-delta (a.k.a. delta-sigma) audio DACs, my valve DAC article might help:

https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/03 Didden LA V13 mvdg.pdf

The references section has references to what I believe to be the most important articles on the subject.

If you also want to know about mismatch shaping, bounded-input-bounded-output stability criterions, other fancy techniques I didn't use and ADC design, look up one of the books about delta-sigma converters by Gabor Temes and Richard Schreier.

Reactions: 1 user