Hakuin SE Class A HP Amp

Thanks for the show of interest. Actually, I did lose momentum for the lack of interest by people. It’s a lot of work to do these projects and I move on if it doesn’t seem to gather the steam needed. The amp works fine - I ran into issues with the fuel gauge feature. It required reconfiguring all of the resistors to get it to work.

I guess by the sounds of it this is on the backburner for you, but if you're ever thinking about gauging interest to pick it back up - I'm still up for it. Still looks like the altoids tin/portable version will be a fun build. (Although with the whole covid and stay at home sit at desk thing I've been using speakers more than anything else)
I've been checking back every so often to see what's happening.
(and I guess good thing with fuel gauge is that it's a nice to have but not an integral part of the amp :p )

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was talking to JPS64 the other day and he is interested in reviving this. We have found a great manufacturer of CNC aluminum chassis / cases. We could easily make one for this amp now. Let me discuss with JPS64 again and see if we can move this out of the back burner. The fuel gauge and PSU DCDC boost and charging is integral and important. This amp is Class A and goes through batteries just like that. So having a convenient and reliable way to charge is important.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
Hakuin has been revived from the dead! JPS64 has been busy and we now have a revamped power management system and battery charger. Plus we have the latest ES9281A portable DAC from ESS! It’s certainly exciting to see this. Stay tuned…

Attachments

• F3B525E7-2B9B-4479-845A-C448B89EA0A9.png
    F3B525E7-2B9B-4479-845A-C448B89EA0A9.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 203
This amp piqued my interest for a desktop HPA for office use, due to its simplicity and ready availability of parts. I've put together a PCB using Bambinz's CCS mod, and a TTA004B in place of the DZT because my phones are 32 ohm. It's not the prettiest layout, but I wanted to use mostly THT components and still come in at under 100x100mm to keep the PCB's cheap. I added a CRCRC filter on the DC input, with separate second filter stages for the left and right sides.

I did have one question though: what is the best method for finding the resistor combinations needed to raise the bias current to ~125mA? Just plugging values into LT Spice and seeing what happens?

Pictures of layout and circuit attached. Would be happy to share the files with anyone interested in building a simpler version of the amp, if that's OK with xrk! Also of course, any critiques are welcome.

Thanks,
Kellis

Attachments

• HakuinCircuit.png
    HakuinCircuit.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 229
  • HakuinPCB.png
    HakuinPCB.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 233
  • HakuinHPA.png
    HakuinHPA.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
no, the "Hakuin" , curious of there are boards or kits available.

please forgive the redundant post above .

I ordered a Pocket Class A Headphone Amp pcb off of your etsy store, cant wait to put it together, this seems like a cool project as well, so i was hoping that there were PCBs available.

thanks