Help me design a high-pass filter to use with my Vandersteen Quatro speakers

My speakers are designed to be used with a 100 Hz first order high-pass filter. A pair of these RCA filters were included with the speakers: https://www.vandersteen.com/products/m5-hp

I want to design and build my own version of this filter, adding the ability to accept balanced and single-ended inputs/outputs, and maintaining the ability to adjust to match different amplifier input impedances.

The spec from the manual is a signal measuring 1v at the filter output at 1000 Hz should measure 0.707v at 100 Hz. The filter should be adjustable so that this attenuation can be achieved with a variety of amplifier input impedance values.

I know the basics of designing an RC filter, but I need help picking the resistance and capacitance values, and designing switchable loading.

Joined 2011
Rsource should much smaller than Rshunt // Rload

C should be much larger than Ccable // Cload

The source must be able to drive Rshunt // Rload with low distortion

For tube sources, Rshunt // Rload should be greater than 50k, the higher, the better

For ss sources, Rshunt // Rload should be greater than 2k, the higher, the better

Any source output capacitor should be much greater than C

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So my filter resistance would be Series R + Input impedance, then the capacitor, right? Does output impedance of the preamp matter?

In a Low Pass the Rin does not really affect things.

In a High Pass it does, i like using it as the R in the series C, shunt R circuit, it also needs to be quite high to aupport the (droopy) wnd order PLLXO.

dave

For my system, Rload is 110k and Rsource is 1k. Setting Rshunt to 422k produces a value for Rshunt // Rload of 87k, which seems good. Combing that with a 0.018 uF capacitor would set fHighPass at 100. Csource and Cload are unspecified for my equipment. Is it common for these values to significant? How do these values seem?

EDIT: Fixed values of Rshunt and C to standard part values

1698127372142.jpeg

Based on the image of the M5-HPB balanced filter, I believe it uses a combination of capacitors and resistors to achieve 100Hz highpass for different amplifier input impedances, except the 100Kohm is connected directly to a capacitor without using a shunt resistor.
Since your amplifier input impedance is in 100kohm range, I think you can use a 15nf or 16nF capacitor and no shunt resistor is needed.

You can also add dip switches and arrays of capacitors and resistors to accommodate different amplifier input impedances.

Yes! From my understanding of the M5-HPB balanced filter, for 100Kohm amplifier input impedance setting, no shunt resistor required, you can simply using your amp input impedance as R to calculate the C value.

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-low-pass-and-high-pass-filter

I want to design and build my own version of this filter, adding the ability to accept balanced and single-ended inputs/outputs, and maintaining the ability to adjust to match different amplifier input impedances.

You can add dip switches and arrays of capacitors and resistors to accommodate different amplifier input impedances.
DIP switches 1,2 and 9,10 set 2 capacitors on each leg of the balanced output and DIP switches 3,4,5,6,7,8 set the shunt Resistors.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 16-18-43 Scheme-it Free Online Schematic and Diagramming Tool DigiKey.png

For unbalanced I/O, dip switches 9,10 and associated capacitors are not required.

Reactions: 1 users