Help with room

I downsized in the last few years to a 12.5’ x 13’ room in our basement. It has a suspended ceiling with the thin plastic decorative tiles in it. Unfortunately this has to be my music and audio room combined and I’m at a loss as to what to do with it. Essentially every square foot of floor space up against the walls is taken up by something so I’m thinking I may have to go near field. No room treatments and I’m thinking about ditching my mostly budget stuff to start over (except my old Polk Monitor 5B’s which are currently getting a complete xover redo with upgraded tweeters - nostalgia). Here’s a close approximation of what I have going on.

Attachments

• music room.png
    music room.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 95
Which is in consideration. I currently have a Hagerman Clarinet and an Aikido line stage I can build. As well as an EL34 Baby Huey, MyRef boards, and an ST-35 I need iron for. I’d like to have a tube rig on one rack and a SS on the other. Since I’ve been in DIY limbo for a bit I have all these backlog projects available as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Just go with it. You'll be rearranging things as the work goes along, anyway.
The chair will help the acoustics somewhat, especially if your ears are below the top of the chair back.
Consider adding some treatment on the wall behind the speakers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Check the line of acoustimac absorbers for the wall behind your speakers and possibly to the sides. Something to deal with first bounce on the ceiling as well. My basement room is quite crowded and not a whole lot larger.

My room is about 11' x 17' x 6' 8" (W x L x H) and has a lot of stuff in it. Will post some details if interested. I get decent sound in here but have a lot of problems with room modes in the LF. Room is moderately heavily treated.

Thanks. A lot of the audio gear just needs to be sold. I have a hard time letting go. That old Carver 900 and the Polks were the first pieces I ever bought as a freshman in high school back in ‘84. I also have a Sansui Au719 I got a couple years ago that’s in really good condition for $40 that’s probably worth going through. I like the little ACA amp I built a few years ago and could see getting run of most of the amps to build an F4 since I finally have time and this will/should be our last home.

Kevinkr- I’d be interested in seeing more of what you’ve done.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bloozestringer,

Here is a diagram of my room, clutter does not quite describe it. I somehow manage to get fairly decent sound in here. If you look closely you will start to notice a lot of things relating to room treatment, and just how many obstacles are present in the sound field. (Main space is 200 sq feet, and about 21 sq ft on the left side which opens into the rest of the room. Undesirably there is a door sized opening directly to my left which needs to be blocked during listening. (Measurements confirm a benefit, but how to do it conveniently has not been solved yet.)

Room Dimensions.jpg

View from my listening position.

20230609_182603.jpg

1688787780659.png

1688787827750.png

1688787870858.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I was able to arrange stuff along the walls a little more. Let me pull my speakers out about 3.5’ from the front wall. 5’ apart, 40” from the side walls, with my ears about 9’ from the front wall which leaves 3.5’ behind me. They are toed-in an 1” and tilted 1/4” up (about 1.5 degrees). Much, much better. I used to run them this way (pulled out) but farther apart. I’ve been hesitant to do that in this small room, but screw it.