Homebrew mobile phone car-kit noise problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to the new laws in the uk about mobile phone usage while driving, including the use of a wired hands free, i decided to build my own car-kit.

I have cut the wired hands free kit open. the microphone is attached next to my sun visor on a lead down to my dashboard.

The earphone was chopped off and was wired into a 2.5W amplifier, based on the LM380, that I have built. I have tested it with a cd play and it works ok for vocal usage.

The power is supplied from the electrics and has been regulated and smoothed for the amplifier circuit.

The main problem is that i am hearing a drumming effect as an incoming call/message occurs (I can live with that). BUT i can not live with the noise during the call. The level of noise can be altered by moving the phone slightly.

This can be simulated by moving the phone, during a call, near powered speakers.

I have tried low-pass filters on the input and output of the amplifier but they didn't work.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

AndyH

this effect happens to other powered speakers with no link to the phone.

if the phone is used on the standard wired hands-free you can not hear the noise, etc.

my amp is only isolated from dc via a capacitor. i was thinking of isolating the phone and amp with a 1:1 audio transformer as i don't know if the output of the phone is balanced or unbalanced.

as i'm typing this i've just heard the drumming effect on the speaker even when the amp isn't powered or the phone being attached! it could just be the power of the phone.

does anyone know how to control a simple amp with balanced and unbalanced input?

or have any other idea?

ultrachrome - have had a chance to look inside you nokia kit?

cheers

andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.