How to calibrate amplifier

Hi, following that topic
I would like to calibrate 8 of those amplifiers
The speakers I'm using are those 8r 30w

The power I'm feeding the amps is 24V

How can I calibrate those amplifiers?
What output I should aim for?
I have an audio interface so I can output as in wave to the amplifier input and calibrate the output using a digital multimeter

Thanks for any advise

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have an audio interface so I can output as in wave to the amplifier input and calibrate the output using a digital multimeter

Thanks for any advise
Sounds like you want to determine the voltage gain of your amplifier. Just measure the AC voltage at the input and and the output. I'd recommend you use a sine signal of maybe 100 Hz, where most DVMs will give good readings.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If all amps and all speakers are the same you can use the output voltage method.
In reality, speakers will likely be positioned at a different distance from the listening position.
In that case I would do it "by ear".

Power = Voltage x voltage divided bij nominal speaker impedance. E.g. 3V output with 8 ohm speakers would give you (3 X 3) / 8 = about 1.13 Watt.

WetVanOhm.jpg

Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If impedance is not listed, you can measure it with an Ohm meter.
Say you measure +/- 7 Ohm then the speaker would be 8 Ohm.
If you measure +/-3 Ohm it will be 4 Ohm.

With the formula above you want to know the max. voltage to be applied to the speaker.
That would be V² = R X P.
For 8 Ohm that would be 8 X 30 = 240.
Square root of 240 = 15.5V

Now you can calculate the same if your speakers would be 4 Ohm.

I wouldn't apply 15V to those speaker though.
I bet for normal listening levels you'll have plenty with half that voltage, wich would be 7 Watt.
The rest is headroom for peaks (and parties :) )

Hugo

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not necessarily. It depends on the gain of the amplfier.
Start at the output of the amp. If you measure say 10VAC at the output and 1VAC on the input the gain is 10 (10*1)
If your soundcard outputs 3.41VAC and the gain is 10 you will measure 34.1VAC at the output.
If the gain is 20 you will measure 3.41 * 20.
Gain = output voltage / input voltage.

Hugo

Hi, following that topic
I would like to calibrate 8 of those amplifiers
The speakers I'm using are those 8r 30w

The power I'm feeding the amps is 24V

How can I calibrate those amplifiers?
What output I should aim for?
You have nothing to calibrate.

I guess you want to know how NOT to blow your "30W" speakers with your "100W" amplifiers so find how much "safe" signal you can feed them.

If anything, what you are asking and is being answered is about Lab type measurements ... but you will not listen to continuous sinewaves, I would guess Music instead.

What is your Music program source?

1) speakers claim standing 30W RMS so we'll trust that for now

2) your "100W" amps can actually put out 30W RMS into 8 ohm speakers when fed 24VDC, so in principle they are matched.

3) just plug your music source into your amp, once rise volume until they start sounding ugly (clipping), only for 10-20 seconds is enough, lower volume, and never surpass that.

Presto! You have just calibrated your system.

As long as you use your system "clean", not like a DJ who is all time slamming his speakers, you'll be fine.

Your average volume will be less than 30W RMS per speaker.

Reactions: 1 users