installing shaft-ext mod on Django selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, maybe a simple question here.

Just got the shaft extension kit from diyhfs and ready to install it in my S&B Django.

My unit has the silver wiring with cotton piping.

Soon, the input leads will be about an inch long or so, once shortened...

The Question : Does the white cotton piping on these wires do anything for oxidation, or is it just there to insulate ?
Is the wire itself an enamelled conductor ?

If my leads are to be very short, and sitting in free air, with no slack or droop -- is there any reason for the piping now, or can I just remove it ?
If you've built a Django or modded one, please post the scoop on the wire ? Thanks.

Hi,

The Question : Does the white cotton piping on these wires do anything for oxidation, or is it just there to insulate ?

Is the wire itself an enamelled conductor ?

Insulation only, bare wire. Silver oxide (the white stuff) is a poor conducutor but does not cause distortion, unlike copper oxide, which is basically a semiconductor (rectifier). Silver Sulphide (the black stuff) is an isolator and needs removing before soldering. Neither have effects past the cosmetic.

If my leads are to be very short, and sitting in free air, with no slack or droop -- is there any reason for the piping now, or can I just remove it ?

Your call, if you are 250% sure nothing can short out, bare wire is okay.

If you've built a Django or modded one, please post the scoop on the wire ? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ciao T

Thanks for the info, Thorsten.
I think I'll see just how close I can get the switch to the jacks, & if it is truly just a short jumper, I'll forego the piping. If it is more than an inch and a half, I'll keep piping.

I live next to the sea so oxidation is something to contend with, but the piping won't prevent it either, I suspect. More to the point, I think I'll also tape over the "vent" holes in the bottom of the Django chassis since there's nothing needing a vent in there anyway...

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.