Is placing bracing too close to the speaker bad?

Building a sealed box for a shallow mount 12 inch sub.

Aside from positioning the bracing for optimal strength and reduction of flex, does it matter where I place them? I wanted them close to the sub on the front side since I don't have enough space to double the thickness of the front plate while still getting the proper internal volume. Do they need to be further from the sub?

Also, does it matter how much they restrict airflow? In the diagram below the red lines represent my hypothetical braces, which would just be sections of the same material as the side pieces. Do I need to keep them small or can I basically section my box into quarters and rely on the open space behind the woofer where the quarters meet to reliably equalize the pressure?

Lastly, do the enclosure space requirements given in speaker specifications account for woofer volume? The specs for this one ask for 0.75.

Backstory:
I ordered all the pieces to do a stealthy sub install in my daily driver, all of it came in except the box, which the order for got canceled. I suspect they may have gone out of business since they don't answer the phone either. Luckily its a really simple rectangle box and the exterior dimensions were listed in the product page. I have access to lots of wood working tools... so... here we go. Plugged the specs into a building calculator and started reading on here to learn about stuff like MDF safety, what kind of caulk to use, etc...

Screenshot 2024-02-07 132601.png

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A brace should not run parallel to the baffle and they should not restrict airflow. They should be at least a bit asymmetrical.

Here is an example of a bass enclosure with extensive bracing. Note that anything parallel to the baffle has a big hole in iy behind the driver, braces are 30-40% holes, and the holes create a convoluted path from one side tothe other.

Tad-Ken-visual.png

Not shown is that the braces go right up to and prss against the magnet. So instea dof just the baffle, you have a box-sectoion including top, bottom and back, much stiffer than a double baffle.

For a subwoofer stiff is very important, use quality plywood or better, MDF is not all that suitable. And if you can mount 2 woofers push-push that helps tremendously wrt minimized box structure loading.

dave