Kenwood DP2080 CD player not working

Hello all, I have a Kenwood DP2080 CD player that I picked up at my local tip shop. It was not working properly. I have been trying to troubleshoot the problem for quite a while. The service schematic for the unit is available on HiFi Engine but I can post here if need be. When you power the unit on, the display lights momentarily, the laser unit moves slightly and the disc spindle tries to spin. Then it all goes dead but standby light remains on. Some of the voltages on the board are not right. Most perplexing is that the voltage at the main fuse that links to Q11 (regulator) should be 11.5 V but does not always show this value. It is often 14.4 V at power up but value changes if I turn the spindle on the laser unit. It can vary from 7.6 V to 14.4 V. I have removed and tested a lot of the electrolytic caps (but not ceramics) in the vicinity of Q11 and they all seem OK. I have also tested most of the transistors and they also seem OK. Same for the resistors and diodes. Pin 64 (power supply) on the big NEC IC reads 5 V which is correct. Pin 57 (Vpre) reads -3.4 V (should be -6 V) while pin 56 (Vload) reads -35 V (should be -30 V). I have read the recent thread on the Kenwood DPSG7 (posted by Spacebiscuit with input from Mooly) which had similar issues. The DP2080 is a much more basic unit. Any help greatly appreciated.