Locating LCD Panel's: There has GOT to be a better way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sick of trying to get a panel off of EBAY.

One reason:

They are overpriced mostly because people are bidding way too much for them!

Guys, there has got to be a better way of getting an LCD panel for this project. And no, I don't want to strip a TV down either. I don't have money to risk if I somehow break the thing in the process.

Collectively, there are quite a few of us on this forum, and I'm sure that someone or a few of us knows where there is a reasonable supply of good LCD panels in existence. They have to be in existence somewhere and for sale by some company.

There has got to be an asset recovery firm or surplus inventory supplier selling them.

What I am proposing is that we all spend some time (when available), to research and post information on companies that have this scarce resource available. If you're like me, this EBAY thing is not going to work out in the long run.

I'll start it off:

http://www.rentcom.com/saleslist/WebSales.htm

This company has an Apollo IMV 16.7 and a few OHP's......

your right we need some sources but paying 200$ for a projection panel is not what i had in mind , we need lcd monitors not projection panels, panels are way outdated and dont give a good enough image, not fo rme at least, maybe we need to get those LCDs the koreans got i hear its DIY compatible wiht no flex cables. but the downside it the resolution, but i guess it better than nothing...

Unfortunately DNT, that really is'nt the case at all. If it were I think the supply would be a lot larger than what EBAY has right now. They are'nt selling very many.

The major point is that there has to be plenty of companies that we are unaware of but could have information somewhere on the net for us to buy from other than EBAY, because once again the nature of competitive buying and the ignorance of the consumer is driving the price of these things way up over what they are actually worth.

You would be more inclined to make a deal with a company that sells these sorts of products outside of a competitive buying atmosphere than you would on EBAY with all of the user imposed variables in affect.

I'm searching hard elsewhere for the moment, right now EBAY is just not a reasonable option.

Yeah ND, from that angle I see where you're coming from.

Resolution is VERY important.

But for me, I'm oneof those guys that says, "Hey if it looks good, it's good enough."

See, I'm all for stripping down a TV, problem is I'm not too confident in my ability to keep from going in and breaking the thing. All those small delicate parts just seem pretty difficult to avoid.

Not the case

Well it may be "Supply and Demand" Im not trying to rile you.
Example: I have a panel Im going to try and sell And I have been watching these panels on ebay as well.

Why would I put it up now there are several of the panel that I have up for bid now. And Im pleased that I see one being bid high
but that doesnt mean I will get the same for mine. That being said these panels prices go up and down all the time. One month you may get the spectra C for 35-40 dollars and the next month it may go for 100

Just my opinion

I agree... I spent a good 2 hours this evening scouring google looking for places that might have these panels. I'm still looking for my first panel... I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want to buy monochrome.

I've found quite a few here and there, but for the most part, they are not only simpler than what I want, but also far more expensive that what I want to pay... I've found quite a few $150-$250 640x480 4k color panels.. and some you're lucky to get a power cord with them.

I don't think I'm being all that stingy either. I just want to find one for a good price... Not even looking for a steal. (although one would be nice)

If anyone knows where a person can take their pick of these panels, I would sure like to see it.

Stripping TV

If you decide to do that....Strip a tv.....be very carful Im no expert but I believe there is capacitors in there that hold a good charge and also the tube is under a vacuum.....not sure what would cause one of them to emplode ..but you dont want that to happen to you.

Just hang around and learn as much as you can about the other options and you may get confident enuff to try the monitor solution as ND suggested.

Projecto7 said:
Yeah ND, from that angle I see where you're coming from.

Resolution is VERY important.

But for me, I'm oneof those guys that says, "Hey if it looks good, it's good enough."

See, I'm all for stripping down a TV, problem is I'm not too confident in my ability to keep from going in and breaking the thing. All those small delicate parts just seem pretty difficult to avoid.

i think i understand your situation, me i was confident of my VG150 going smooth...but i crashed and burned and out of 200$ bux :'(
but at least i learned something...what that is i dont know yet...lol
but those korean lcds are made for DIY thats what hoontang said, and if u take a look at the Diyprojector thread u will see it..or was it the results thread...well anyways its in one of those.

im going to search for usuable LCDs and hopefully we can have a helpful aliance of info :0

Well it may be "Supply and Demand" Im not trying to rile you.
Example: I have a panel Im going to try and sell And I have been watching these panels on ebay as well.

Why would I put it up now there are several of the panel that I have up for bid now. And Im pleased that I see one being bid high
but that doesnt mean I will get the same for mine. That being said these panels prices go up and down all the time. One month you may get the spectra C for 35-40 dollars and the next month it may go for 100

Just my opinion

Excellent point.

The prices do fluctuate a lot. I think my anguish is vested a lot in the competitive buying thing. I guess some people like it, but me personally I don't want to compete to buy anything. I mean, there is already enough competition in life as it is, lol.

At this rate my project will be complete in say, 2005, lol.

Negative Design said:

i think i understand your situation, me i was confident of my VG150 going smooth...but i crashed and burned and out of 200$ bux :'(
but at least i learned something...what that is i dont know yet...lol
but those korean lcds are made for DIY thats what hoontang said, and if u take a look at the Diyprojector thread u will see it..or was it the results thread...well anyways its in one of those.

im going to search for usuable LCDs and hopefully we can have a helpful aliance of info :0

Yeah, we definitely need a good database of companies who can be purchased from, this will take some effort on everyone's part but I'm sure we can all check in with one good source to help our supply. I know there are others who are sick of playing the bidding game too.

What I found kinda funny about buying the Panel from EBAY was that bidders would make bids on an item that was Buy It Now. Mind you, the bid itself was'nt what was funny, it was the fact that the Buy it Now price was so ridiculously low that it was boneheaded for these people to even place a bid to begin with. Just buy the thing! I don't think many people are aware of how little these things are worth now. Either that or they just have money to blow.

I gave myself a tough deadline. I need to get everything together by the start of the NFL season, but at this rate it won't happen. It would be faster for me to just get an LCD TV and strip that bad boy down, but of course the risk of blowing some dough is not very attractive to my bank account at the moment.

Projecto7 said:

Yeah, we definitely need a good database of companies who can be purchased from, this will take some effort on everyone's part but I'm sure we can all check in with one good source to help our supply. I know there are others who are sick of playing the bidding game too.

What I found kinda funny about buying the Panel from EBAY was that bidders would make bids on an item that was Buy It Now. Mind you, the bid itself was'nt what was funny, it was the fact that the Buy it Now price was so ridiculously low that it was boneheaded for these people to even place a bid to begin with. Just buy the thing! I don't think many people are aware of how little these things are worth now. Either that or they just have money to blow.

I gave myself a tough deadline. I need to get everything together by the start of the NFL season, but at this rate it won't happen. It would be faster for me to just get an LCD TV and strip that bad boy down, but of course the risk of blowing some dough is not very attractive to my bank account at the moment.

Well,

I was scared of breaking a lcd monitor since I myself, don't have a job. However, thanks to Cruser's thread on how to dismantle the nec 1545v, I went and bought one and it worked. It is actually pretty easy if you are experienced, perhaps you know how to assemble a computer.

Yeah I've been there, just yesterday actually, but I did'nt understand what the heck I was looking at really.

Also I did'nt see any traditional LCD panels, just stripped down barebacks and they seemed to cost a bit.

Maybe I was just confused by what I was reading........ Is there anything there that is usable for an OHP LCD setup? I did'nt really see it when I was there.

I agree.

I think the thing that comes into question is demand, value and relevancy.

In business today, these LCD Panels are neither in demand, valued or relevant as businesses are using all-in-one projectors these days.

Based on that criteria, to pay say, $500 for an LCD panel today would still be a bit on the absurd side.

Projecto7 said:
Yeah I've been there, just yesterday actually, but I did'nt understand what the heck I was looking at really.

Also I did'nt see any traditional LCD panels, just stripped down barebacks and they seemed to cost a bit.

Maybe I was just confused by what I was reading........ Is there anything there that is usable for an OHP LCD setup? I did'nt really see it when I was there.
Well it does take some getting used to, but I believe there are probably a few suitable LCDs if you are interested in doing the "ripped apart monitor" style of projector. If you want OHP+ready made projection panel Earth LCD won't help you much. I do agree that Earth's prices are way too high. But then again, how much is the "perfect part" worth? :goodbad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.